PDA

View Full Version : Computer can't boot please help

chuanwai
28-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I placed a new cpu+mb in my pc today, when i put everything back together and powered it bup it boots and then displays

Disk read error occured, ctrl alt del to restart

I am current running two hdds same as before, but now it is showing this
if anyone can help please post a reply

thanks in advance

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Did you change the bootdisk in the BIOS, to the hdd thats got something on it??

And configure/reconfigure the BIOS?

And does the CPU and mobo match what was in the case before??

If there's an operating system on one of the hdd's?

If they dont, it'll probably crash, if you do manage to boot into Windows, until you do a repair

chuanwai
28-04-2008, 04:22 PM
1) yes i think in did
2)i dont understand what u mean by this
3)What do u mean does the cpu/mb match what was in the case before? if u mean are they compatible with each other then yes
4)yes there is a os on one of the hdds

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2008, 04:33 PM
What was in the case (before you put this new CPU and mobo in it)??

It sounds like (since theres an OS on a hdd), there was a previous mobo and CPU.

What I mean is, if the new CPU and mobo (isnt the same as the previous mobo and CPU, or are they?), it may crash, since the hdd with the OS will have different drivers etc, to whats on the new mobo.

chuanwai
28-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Man thank you, i understand what you mean after a little search around the net i found out that now i will have to put a clean window back on the system hdd
the cpu+mb i changed to a E6750+DS4

thanks for the help mate

appreciated/

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2008, 04:42 PM
No probs :)

Graham L
28-04-2008, 07:02 PM
All very well, but that error message is coming from the BIOS code, before anything to do with OSs has been executed.

The BIOS is not complaining that it can't find a valid boot block; it's complaining that it can't read a disk. That's a lower level error.