PDA

View Full Version : New PC - BSOD and other issues

DaveBritton
28-04-2008, 10:58 AM
This is a rather long one, but I will try to explain whats going on.

So I wanted to build a sweet gaming rig, and I forgot about any budget and just went pretty much all out. I ordered all the parts and built it myself, and I've built plenty of PC's in the past with no problems, but I just don't know enough to figure out whats wrong with this new PC.

First of all, I installed a copy of Windows XP Pro Corporate with SP2 (32 bit), I slipstreamed the raid drivers as I didn't order a floppy drive and I didn't have a working one laying about. All went well with the install, all up and running fine, then the BSOD'ing started. I got all the drivers installed for everything and started installing stuff, and I got a BSOD, restarted, carried on installing stuff, then again. I think it said something about nvidia drivers, but that could be any number of components as a lot of stuff is nvidia on the motherboard.

I managed to get everything installed and thought I'd put my new graphics cards to the test, so I installed Crysis, but about 2 minutes in, it crashed. So I started it up again, and again it crashed. So I downloaded some patches and stuff to see if I could fix it, but it crashed again after installing the patches. Then other programs started to crash for seemingly no reason.

So I thought I'd install Vista Ultimate with SP1 (64 bit) and see if that improved anything. So I downloaded the 64 bit drivers for my motherboard and slipstreamed the raid drivers. I didn't know at the time that the drivers could be loaded from USB, but I went ahead and let it use the slipstreamed drivers, and then just when it was coming to the end of the install, BSOD. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was related to the raid drivers.

So then I decided that it would be a good idea to do a plain install of vista (64 bit again) and this time use a USB stick to load the raid drivers, all seemed well, and then BSOD again. By this time I was fed up, but I tried once more, and again I got a BSOD, but I wrote down what it said this time.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Now I have no idea what to do with that, but hopefully someone out there does. Heres the system specs, as it might help to know what I'm using:

Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz
EVGA 790i Ultra SLi Motherboard
OCZ DDR3 4x1gb @ 1333mhz (rated up to 1800mhz)
2x EVGA 9800GX2's (SSC Edition) in SLi
2x WD Raptor 150gb HDD's (Running in RAID0, installing OS to here)
2x Seagate Barracuda 500gb HDD's
Akasa 1000w Powermax PSU
Standard CD/DVD writer
And I have plenty of cooling, the CPU temp hasn't gone above 35c

As far as I know, I have set everything in the BIOS correctly, but there was some stuff about IRQ in there which I didn't touch, so maybe I missed out a setting.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help.

- Dave.

SolMiester
28-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi Dave, the thing is the RAID drivers are required 1st off for the O/S to recognise the hard drive array correctly. Start again with a USB stick WITH radi drivers for Nvidia controller.

PS: the rig is sick mate!!!

Ops, didnt read the post properly!.....you have loaded correctly....

So, BSOD are always either memory or hardware drivers, try removing the RAM, leave only 1 stick in and build.....If no problems, the memory mybe an issue running dual channel on the very very new motherboard chipset. You may need to wait for nvidia to release BIOS updates or new chipset drivers.

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I would look in Event viewer, wherever this is in Vista, if this is what youre using now.

And see WHAT it says exactly, at about the time it crashes

If its like XP, double click the entry (under system probably), and click on the icon under the down arrow, and paste it here

DaveBritton
28-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I would look in Event viewer, wherever this is in Vista, if this is what youre using now.

And see WHAT it says exactly, at about the time it crashes

If its like XP, double click the entry (under system probably), and click on the icon under the down arrow, and paste it here

Thing is, it crashes before it finishes installing Vista, when it restarts it won't boot, so I can't check and see.

And thanks for the reply SolMiester, I will try that now.

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2008, 11:29 AM
What did you use to slipstream the raid drivers?? Something like Nlite/Vlite?

pctek
28-04-2008, 11:38 AM
First of all, I installed a copy of Windows XP Pro Corporate with SP2

All went well with the install, all up and running fine, then the BSOD'ing started. I got all the drivers installed for everything and started installing stuff, and I got a BSOD, restarted, carried on installing stuff, then again.

I installed Crysis, but about 2 minutes in, it crashed. So I downloaded some patches but it crashed

So I thought I'd install Vista Ultimate with SP1 (64 bit) and see if that improved anything.
At the point it first crashed you should have stopped and noted what it said in event viewer, checked device manager etc.
Troubleshooting another words.

But you then carried on installing even more stuff.

And then another O/S.

Start again and check which driver its not happy with.

DaveBritton
28-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I am now talking to you from within Vista Ultimate 64bit :D

I removed 3 of the 4 sticks of RAM, and I've got all the drivers installed so far without a hitch. I'm gonna power down and put the other memory back in now, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the replies people, you'll soon hear from me if I'm still having issues. :P

DaveBritton
28-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Sorry for the double post, but it won't let me edit.

So yeah, it appears to be working now, all 4gb installed.

Thanks for the help once again, hopefully I won't need to come back again. :p

qazwsxokmijn
28-04-2008, 04:25 PM
You're too rich, that's why! :p

DaveBritton
29-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Well, I'm not rich now, I just bought all this... :p

Anyway, I was reading up about the problem a bit more as I got another BSOD last night (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), and apparently this can be caused by the RAM running at too low voltages. I have it set to auto at the moment, and it's showing 1.5v, but the RAM says 1.9-2.0v on the site I ordered it. Only thing is, it says 1800mhz, and obviously I have to o/clock it to get it there, but is the voltage on the site the voltage I should be running it at, at current FSB?

1.9-2.0v @ 1333mhz? I don't know, as I said, I havn't played with hardware this advanced before.

I'm at work now, so I won't be able to do anything until I get home obviously, but hopefully someone can advise.

Thanks again.
- Dave