PDA

View Full Version : sudden loss of connectivity in most programs



dirtbag
26-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Using vista x64 business edition
Restarted my computer to find that everything but IE cannot access anything over the network.
That includes Firefox, Thunderbird, MSN, Steam, COD4, Winamp, Windows itself (online help etc). I cannot even get to my routers page in firefox.
I will type in an address and when i press enter it just flashes the status bar and says done. Firewall shows no activity from firefox when I ask for it to go to any address, and does not ask me to allow/disallow firefox if i remove it from the policy list.
And whenever I quit Firefox/Thunderbird/MSN it comes up with the program stop working dialog box and goes in search of the solution, never comes back with one.

To try fix it I have set network connection to dhcp, back to static, restarted at different times, set firewall on allow all, uninstalled firewall, unplugged and replugged different network cables, reinstalled firefox. NOD is currently running. Also disabled IPV6 as I found some people were having unusual problems with it on IPV4 networks. Didn't change a thing

I am currently posting from my laptop remote desktop connection(ed) to my vista PC, so that seems to be working fine. File sharing works fine from other PCs. I cannot figure out what the hell is causing this problem!

Any help would be much appreciated :thanks

Edit: Winamp just crashed on me after I tried to go to its online feature then quit it. Exactly the same as other programs that try to access the internet then crash when I quit them

dirtbag
26-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Cannot edit my post, so just to add
Pings and tracerts work fine

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Whats the firewall, if youre not using Vista's firewall?

NOD?

Did you try disabling the firewall, if its not Vista's firewall?

dirtbag
26-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I was using comodo.

I stayed up to fix this as it was bugging me so much, never had a problem where I had no idea where to start. Managed to find on google a couple of different forum posts about kind of the same thing, and resetting the tcp-ip stack ended up being what made it all work again, and reseting winsocks or something.

In my journey I came across someone who was having programs crash on them when they went to quit, and someone had come to the conclusion that all of them were accessing a dll ***com.dll or something similar, had something to do with the tcp/ip stack.

Still can't work out why IE7 could access the internet fine, but oh well, its fixed now!