PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Computer Problem

Jaymom
26-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Suddenly when I turn on my computer of 3 years of age It turns itself off after 3 to 5 seconds. Never had this problem before. I replaced the power supply with no change in behavior. The LED light on the mother board is on as usual. I hate to buy a new motherboard and find it not to be the problem. Not even sure what to buy for a board. Presently I am using a ASUS Dragon 2. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Jaymom

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Sounds like it maybe overheating (the CPU), if it turns off 3-5 secs after you turn it on.

It wouldnt even get as far as getting into Windows would it??

I would give the inside of the case a clean. And check the heatsink/CPU.

If its got (or needs) an 12v ATX connector, did you reconnect this, when you replaced the PSU??

beama
26-04-2008, 09:00 AM
try this do a f8 boot and select option " disable reboot on system failure"
on the next boot do you get a blue screen with writing on it if so want is the error message.

Have taken out/disconnect any add devices one by one boot and see if this makes a difference include keyboard / mouse ( yes I have known these to cause this problem as well)and RAM (dual sticks help here).

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I dont think its crashing.

Its shutting down before it gets to Windows, which isnt crashing

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2008, 09:28 AM
The button to turn it on , on the front of the case isnt sticking or stuck is it??

Jaymom
26-04-2008, 10:51 AM
No the button is not sticking. If you take out the RAM the machine runs but the monitor says "No Signal". Put any of the RAM back in and the machine will not run more than a couple of seconds. Wish I had another video card to try in it.

Jaymom

wainuitech
26-04-2008, 11:03 AM
No the button is not sticking. If you take out the RAM the machine runs but the monitor says "No Signal". Put any of the RAM back in and the machine will not run more than a couple of seconds. Wish I had another video card to try in it.

Jaymom When the RAM is removed, do you get a series of Beeps indicating No RAM ?

beama
26-04-2008, 06:38 PM
I dont think its crashing.

Its shutting down before it gets to Windows, which isnt crashing

Yep, Ive had a couple of beasties I look after BSOD before getting into windows. Wasnt able tell why untill I disabled reboot on failure.

motorbyclist
27-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Maybe the RAM is faulty if it stops shutting down when you turn it off