PDA

View Full Version : Hanging, freezing or crashing, All of the above...

GeneralKanos
25-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey guys,
Just got my new rig up and running (almost)
You can see the specs in my sig.
Problem is, for a while nowit has been hanging, crashing or freezing.

At different times, doing random stuff, it's like all input and output stops. The mouse will stop working (the optical light is still on) as well as the keyboard, and the screen stops (I had task manager open and the performance chart stopped stoped moving).

It ran supcom fine for one game but then crashed on Windows Live Mail, and I dont think it likes avast either.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Did you install the chipset drivers??

That sounds like one of the symptoms of not installing them

Or youre overclocking it

GeneralKanos
25-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Yep all drivers installed and I'm not gonna overclock it just yet!
I had an issue now I remember when XP was freshly installed it came up with "cpu not recognized", and I had to update the bios so it would support my cpu. Dunno if that helps....

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Could be, did you set the BIOS to its default settings.

And reconfigure the BIOS after you updated the BIOS?

GeneralKanos
25-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Yea, the bios said to update itself so I downloaded the latest (not beta) 0901 bios and ezFlashed it then set the bios settings again.

GeneralKanos
25-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Bump-ity bump

Cmon guys!! Someones gotta know something!!!
Could it be a bad sector on the HDD cause I noticed 3 times in a row (when I tried to open my mail) it froze?

wainuitech
25-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Bump-ity bump

Cmon guys!! Someones gotta know something!!!
Could it be a bad sector on the HDD cause I noticed 3 times in a row (when I tried to open my mail) it froze? Hold ya horses, its a public holiday remember, not every one lives on the forum.

if you want to test the HD for bad sectors, download HD Regenerator (http://www.dposoft.net/) Load the program, make a bootable Cd and run it. That will tell you if the drives got bad sectors.

The symptoms you describe could also be a faulty board. Thats what know as DOA, and if it is, then it would be replaced under warranty.

Can you make the PC freeze, Eg: opening or running a certain function and it freezes ?

Also click on ( Assuming its XP) Start/Run type in eventvwr Press enter look through the event logs, mailny system and application, locate the error message(s) relating to the exact time of the freeze, double click to open, copy paste the complete error message here.

if its Vista, click start Orb, in search window directly above the orb button type in Event, open the event viewer- then same as above.

GeneralKanos
25-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Sorry, but when your computer breaks, you wanna fix it real bad!!

He He
I feel like a total idiot.
I reinstalled teh chipset drivers and now I get an error after the bios post saying (in part):

Bad or missing Command Interpreter
Enter the full shell command line:
command.com /p /E:256

Now I cant even get to the desktop.

I know this has nothing do do with the earlier problem (I hope) but damn, I think somebody up there doesnt want me to have a new PC!!

wainuitech
25-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Sorry, but when your computer breaks, you wanna fix it real bad I run a computer repair Business, I know what you are saying, hell Not meant to be working till after 1 pm on ANZAC, the phones already rung 8 times since 9.00am this morning - just as well I'm not answering it.:sleep Gotta have a break some time. Maybe tomorrow - well see.

Okay - since the system has gone belly up since the driver installs, try this - Restart the PC in safe mode. ---- copied from another site as I cant be bothered typing it all out :p

1.Restart your computer.
2.When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3.Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
4.Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Agree that you want safe mode to start - go into system restore, Start/All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / system Restore.

Select the restore my computer ----- When the calender opens Select a time before you installed the drivers, follow on screen instructions.

That should at least get it going again to before the chipset drivers.

Question: Are you positive you installed the correct chipset drives for the motherboard ?

Question 2: Is this a XP system or Vista ?

GeneralKanos
25-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for that, will try that soon.
I put the mobo cd in and it had nVidia chipset under drivers so Im assuming thats the right ones.

GeneralKanos
25-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Yep. total n00b. I had the drivers disc in while I restarted the PC. It was trying to boot of the disc therefore causing an error. Sorry for that.

Still freezing as soon as it hits desktop, mouse and keyboard not responding.

XP system

mzee
25-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I had similar probs with an Asus m/board. Turned out to be the on-board sound. When I disabled it and removed the driver it was OK. Never could get it right so fitted a USB sound card instead. Should have claimed on the warranty but never got round to it. Very stable now.

wainuitech
25-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Just like you to try something please, restart the PC in safe mode, see if it freezes and see if the mouse/keyboard work OK.

Just trying to find out if its a driver issue.

GeneralKanos
25-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I downloaded an asus reg file for my mobo that fixed the fact that my usb kb and mouse refused to work.

Event Viewer seems to show alot of ESENT logs for messenger (windows live) and my pc hangs when I try to install XP on a virtual machine using VMWare.

SPARTAN 860
25-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Just go into safe mode to see if everything works, if it does, its a driver issue.

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2008, 07:29 PM
And disable / remove / uninstall Nvidia firewall

Did you do this ? (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=89244)

GeneralKanos
25-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Yea that was me...

Yea. Got rid of the nVidia firewall and reinstalled all the drivers, making sure I got the latest from the websites.

Pc seems to be running sweet now, no hangs so far.

Thanks guys