PDA

View Full Version : Total Memory

GeneralKanos
24-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Now I know that this has been covered in passing on another thread, but I cant find the thread, so...

When a mobo says that it can handle, say, 8Gb of Ram, does that include the ram on the Graphics cards?

TIA
GK

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2008, 06:16 PM
It may if video is onboard

GeneralKanos
24-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Is that the same as saying that the OS can support 4Gb of ram?

Jen
24-04-2008, 07:04 PM
The RAM limit on a motherboard is the amount of RAM you can use in the memory slots; it does not matter if your graphic card also has 512MB of RAM for example, as it is not counted

Some OS's can only handle limited amount of RAM, but this does not include the RAM from the graphic card.

Basically, the graphic card RAM is an entirely separate entity.

Supreme Commander
24-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Onboard video i.e. the video chip found on the motherboard, takes up system RAM as it is shared. When you have dedicated video cards i.e. the video chip is found on a graphics card AGP, PCIX bla bla bla, then these do not share memory with the system RAM.

So when a motherboard says it can only handle so much RAM it means it can only handle so much system RAM not video RAM two seperate different things.

memphis
24-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Also you can only use 8 gig of ram if you are using XP 64 bit,Vista 64 bit or a 64 bit Linux operating system.
:cool:

Sweep
24-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Is that the same as saying that the OS can support 4Gb of ram?

No.

For example I put 4 Gig RAM in my Motherboard and WinXP Pro 64 bit noticed all of it. WinXP Pro 32 bit did not.

My current O/S is Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit and that works as expected.

With each O/S and motherboard there are possibly limitations depending on BIOS, Hard drives, drivers and other hardware. Then we have the other problems with games that used to work but won't now etc. Not to hijack your thread I would suggest you post again telling the collective members what you are planning to do and why.

Leave it in this thread so that people do not have to go through all your posts to work it all out for you if you could please.

To get over some problems you could run Virtual machines or dual boot etc.

GeneralKanos
24-04-2008, 08:24 PM
:o
Sorry guys...
It was just an argument over building a skulltrail rig.
My mate said to put 8Gb in (and 4 9800GX2 1Gb's in)
I (thought) I remembered someone saying from an old post that the graphics ram was included in the total memory.
ie 8Gb total + 8Gb ram + 4Gb vRam (wont work)

I kinda posted in a rush without thinking it thru first, I just wanted a quick answer.
Soz again guys....

Deathwish
24-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Sorry guys...
I (thought) I remembered someone saying from an old post that the graphics ram was included in the total memory.

I kinda posted in a rush without thinking it thru first, I just wanted a quick answer.
Soz again guys....

OMG! I didn't know you were a gazillionaire, you will be building a Skulltrail rig? Anyway, if the motherboard says it supports 8gb memory, that means 8gb via the RAM slots. Not like the limitation on a 32bit OS where this is not quite the same thing.

GeneralKanos
24-04-2008, 10:41 PM
MOBO...Intel Skulltrail........................................ ........$1149.00
CASE...Antec 900 Advanced gaming case..................................$ 191.00
RAM....8Gb DDR2.............................................. ..........$ 400.00
CPU....2x Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz quad core cpu.............$4663.92
GPU....4x GeForce 9800 GX2, 1GB PCI-Express............................$3406.96
PSU....Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Power Supply.......................$ 506.25
COOL...Zalman Reservator XT Watercooling Kit...........................$ 800.00
HDD....6x Seagate 1TB SATA 7200rpm.....................................$1962. 00

TOTAL............................................. ....................$13079.13

YEAH RIGHT!!!! Like I'm gonna build this!! I'd rather get a car!!

Deathwish
24-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Ok I understand the rest of it, but what is the significance of 6 1TB HDD's? Just for the sake of it? :P

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2008, 11:02 PM
If you do buy one, make sure you use it at someone else's house :lol:

I wouldnt want to see the power bill, at the end of the month

SolMiester
24-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Sorry guys...

Soz again guys....

Correct when using a 32 bit O/S like Vista and XP, however the motherboard limit is a Hardware limit, not software.

Deathwish
24-04-2008, 11:31 PM
If you do buy one, make sure you use it at someone else's house :lol:

I wouldnt want to see the power bill, at the end of the month

hmm, I estimate a price of $65 per month in electricity for operating this beast. That is 7 hours a day, 28 days a month. But I guess that would be assuming that it would be drawing all of the 1200 watts out of the PSU which I'm not too sure about.

used calculator found at : http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html , everything is very much estimated, I used what variables I could and put in figure of 23 cents for electricity cost.