PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3 RTM + XP Pro

jwil1
24-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm having a play slipstreaming SP3 into an SP2 disc of corporate (uses volume key) XP Pro in a VM - I'm at work so NOT illegal :).

Using link from zqwerty in Chat :).

It installs fine, but the product key is required. Thought this was a new feature of SP3 :confused:

I used nLite to slipstream and make ISO/disc.

It works fine on the XP Home OEM disc I also tried it on.

How can I get it so the key isnt required? Is is a limitation of the corp disc when slipstreamed? Did I slipstream it wrong?

SolMiester
24-04-2008, 03:16 PM
A key is always required when using volume licensing, its the activation that isnt required.

wainuitech
24-04-2008, 07:46 PM
A key is always required when using volume licensing, its the activation that isnt required. That doesn't appear to work either - I just finished slipstreaming SP3 onto a new XP CD, it installed fine, no product key, keeps coming up saying 30 days to activate, if you try to do any windows updates, it wants to check to make sure its legal, then says its not genuine and promptly jumps you to the site where you are adviced to purchase XP for $171.00

Looks like MS F**ked up again.

SolMiester
25-04-2008, 12:37 AM
I tried to SP on my work machine today.....lol, bad call. Appears to have fobar'd the TCP stack on the nic!, ip address but cant ping!, Uninstalled, same, reaplied sp2, same, used winsockfix, still no good!
Damn, looks like a clean install coming up, keep forgetting to image my 1!

trinsic
25-04-2008, 12:41 AM
nLite has an option to do an unattended install does it not?

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2008, 12:59 AM
nLite has an option to do an unattended install does it not?

Yup it does indeed. It lets you put everything in that you would normally do during the install, including the key

autechre
28-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I created a slipstreamed SP3 disc with corp XP in the weekend. nLite'd it & installed ok in a VM - will check again tonight, but i'm pretty sure it hasn't asked for activation (which is normal).

SolMiester
28-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I created a slipstreamed SP3 disc with corp XP in the weekend. nLite'd it & installed ok in a VM - will check again tonight, but i'm pretty sure it hasn't asked for activation (which is normal).

Please confirm your IP connectivity is okay?!.....

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Please confirm your IP connectivity is okay?!.....

Is it cutting you off Solmeister, after you installed / SS SP3??

Or changing ips or something?

SolMiester
28-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Is it cutting you off Solmeister, after you installed / SS SP3??

Or changing ips or something?

Yup, recieving IP addy via DHCP, all good, however TCP stack will not ping or communicate with gateway or any server on the network.....

Have tried, uninstall of SP3, no go staill, reinstall SP2, still no go, repair of O/S, still no go......

Just reinstall from start now...

Will build a pc on the VM Host server and do some testing, which of course I should have done in the 1st place!...duh!

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Hmm I installed / SS SP3 on these the other day.

So far so good. Altho, I'm using static ips. Since I use IRC, the router needs static ips to DCC / send.

I just used that patch to change the 1/2 open connections

After SP3 had been installed.

SolMiester
28-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Would you believe it.....after re-install of XP, I have now established that the onboard NIC failed after SP3 install!!
I didnt think it of hardware failure as it was working fine up to the service pack install.....for crying out loud, if that dont rip ya shorts......

wratterus
28-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Would you believe it.....after re-install of XP, I have now established that the onboard NIC failed after SP3 install!!
I didnt think it of hardware failure as it was working fine up to the service pack install.....for crying out loud, if that dont rip ya shorts......

That's the worst. I hate it when things like that happen. :(

Trying to explain it to the customer is fun, they don't believe you most of the time. :groan: