PDA

View Full Version : I give up - what do you think?

dzina
23-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi All,

I have a PC that has a bit of a problem.

Would boot fine in safe mode and run all day but would not boot into full windows (XP). Would get to XP logo screen and die. If i hit reset button i got 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. Have researched and got conflicting errors on that beep code. Mostly points to video. If i powered down and then booted it loaded fine. Once or twice i did get an BIOS error about CPU multiplier wrong but that seems to have stopped (happened once or twice, might have been me). Tried replacing the vid card but same story.

System specs are
AMD 2600
Asus A7v600 MoBo
generic AGP card (nothing flash)
XP Pro (now nothing)
etc etc etc.

So far i have done the following.

Swapped video cards
Swapped PSU
Swapped HDD
Swapped RAM
Swapped Optical drive.
Removed any PCI cards

All parts swapped are new and/or known good.

So now i have the following...

System starts to load fresh XP install (very slowly) but just shuts down after a random period (reasonable length of time but not consistent).
Even though BIOS is set to boot from optical drive it often skips the "push any key to boot from CD" prompt and boots to the safe mode etc boot selection screen.

Have also tried knoppix which loads right up to the installing components screen (i think, it crashes right there) so even disk based OS doesn't load.

Have run diagnostic disks which report CPU, HDD Video, MoBo, etc to be fine (which clearly something is not!!)

Probably done more but brain wont work so I'll leave it at that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Getting ready to bash it with the biggest hammer i can find but just thought it might be good brain exercise for someone here to try and help solve.

Cheers

Battleneter2
23-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Check for swollen capacitors on the motherboard, a very common problem with boards around that age and the symptoms match considering what you have swapped out.

Beyond that, mobo seems likely anyway going from what you have swapped out.

wratterus
23-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Swollen. :) And yes, its looking to be either CPU or motherboard, probably motherboard.

fnphoto
24-04-2008, 09:42 AM
With the Award Bios on this board 1 Long & 3 Short beeps can indicate Video adapter failure, Bad video adapter or also memory. I see you have swapped ram, so try cleaning the connections - may work if you're clutching at straws. I have often found dirty connections to be a problem.

trinsic
24-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Sounds more like the motherboard. It is very uncommon to see a CPU fail from things like that. You would get some odd effects or it may not even boot.