PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not installed XP Service Packs?

Dadzka
23-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Is there anyone else out there who has not installed XP Service Packs or Microsoft Security updates. If so, have you encountered any problems (other than the usual?) Am considering installing Service Pack 3 when it comes out (which I believe includes the previous Service Packs). I am probably being a bit naive, but I operate good firewall & antivirus protection along with frequent trojan & security checks and can say I have not suffered any adverse affects or computer meltdowns over the years. Have I just been lucky??

Comments appreciated.

DeSade
23-04-2008, 09:43 AM
no service packs = moronic.
Its not just security is stability, drivers etc etc etc

wainuitech
23-04-2008, 09:56 AM
I did read someplace yesterday that you have to have at least SP1 installed to install SP3, but I can't remember what site that was :mad:

Its will be easy enough though , if you have XP with no service packs at all, and it requires something else it should tell you.

CYaBro
23-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I did read someplace yesterday that you have to have at least SP1 installed to install SP3, but I can't remember what site that was :mad:

I have read that too :)

autechre
23-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I have SP2 with only 1 or 2 security updates, but running without any SP on the net is nuts :)

As wainuitech noted, it has been said SP3 only installs over SP1 or greater. I'm not sure if it will slipstream ok on a "vanilla" XP disc, but I plan to find out soon.

Speedy Gonzales
23-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Well I cant see why you cant slipstream SP3.

If you wanted to. Since it should include SP1 and SP2 / and updates anyway

Yup, I'll be slipstreaming SP3, with files I've got on another partition at the mo.

And installing it on the other hdd here, to see if it installs ok

I cant see why it wont work

sarel
23-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Wtf - slipstreaming? How the heck do you do that - if it's not just an install?

sarel

CYaBro
23-04-2008, 11:39 AM

sarel

Slipstreaming is when you make your own disc, in this case Windows XP, with the service pack files integrated into the original files.
It means that if you use that disc to install a fresh copy of Windows XP the service pack is already installed.

Speedy Gonzales
23-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Slipstreaming is where you copy the XP CD / or whatever CD to the hdd.

And use a program to add the updates to the original install.

Then it'll make an ISO. The ISO will contain the original OS (that you copied to the hdd, with updates).

Burn the ISO to another CD, and next time you install XP, it'll be up to date.

Something like Nlite (http://www.nliteos.com/)

Lets you add updates / remove components, add drivers to the install.

Which will also save you installing drivers (not all drivers) to an install CD.

Once you install XP the updates and drivers will be installed.

Only thing is, you'll have to download ALL of the updates (If you havent got them already).

BUT since SP3 is coming out, that'll have most of them, except IE 7, and WMP 11.

Bantu
23-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Slipstreaming is where you copy the XP CD / or whatever CD to the hdd.

Speedy, Perhaps you could write a detailed tutorial on slipstreaming for dummies with nice screen dumps when you get the time and motivation.

I have read a few web pages on it and they all seem to vary a bit on the process.

I did try it long ago with Win2k but not tried it since.

Speedy Gonzales
23-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Hmm I can do that, but not with 2K lol

I tried slipstreaming 2K (with the updates), a few weeks ago, and borked it completely.

The 2K install CD worked fine on the spare hdd.

I got into 2K, everything worked, but there were dll registry errors.

When NLite shows an error, (it means it), fix it lol, and dont make an ISO until you fix / remove the update thats causing the error.

The prob came AFTER I updated a few things, and rebooted.

It completely screwed the boot disks up, since XP was installed already and things went downhill AFTER I installed 2K on the other hdd

Both got corrupted. So, I had to reinstall XP (lucky I had made a bootable CD from an ISO I had just created).

pctek
23-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I have SP2 with only 1 or 2 security updates, but running without any SP on the net is nuts :)

Really? perhaps someone ought to do some actual factual research on all this.

I see infested PCs all the time, fully patched.
I only have SP1 - installed for USB.

A friend has the same and no antispyware or resident AV.

Every now and then he installs them and scans and has never found a thing.

Of course he does have XP tweaked and customised and doesn't use IE.

MS patches and updates might fix a few things but it DOES NOT protect you on the net.
At all.

jwil1
23-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Speedy, Perhaps you could write a detailed tutorial on slipstreaming for dummies with nice screen dumps when you get the time and motivation.

There's a link HERE (http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49) that I used to slipstream SP2 into the RTM version of XP.

And it has screenshots.

BTW I have a rough guide to creating a midified version of XP if anyone wants that? (all my own work).

kahawai chaser
23-04-2008, 01:49 PM

sarel

Here's a simple tutorial (http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/slipstream-vista-sp1-bootable-windows-vista-dvd-integrated/2750/) for XP1 slipstreaming from the popular Digital Inspiration blog site. Might give you an insight...

As for service packs, have not got around to updating to XP SP2, since I'm on dial up and it cuts out due to a 4 hour time limit from Kiwi Online (Though could get a stay online program). Have to contact Microsoft NZ to try to get a XP SP2 disc.

Never had any stability/virus, etc, issues possibly in part to not using Internet explorer and constantly and manually running anti virus/spyware/cleaning programs. Also, manually configuring my firewall (using safety net- can't install the popular Comodo, as it requires XP2 SP2) and other security measures, (e.g. downloading and updating the windows hosts file for certain urls, and being vigilant during browsing). Despite SP2, many users always seem to get viruses, hijacks, etc. Though as others have suggested, perhaps time to update...

Agent_24
23-04-2008, 09:10 PM
www.winsupersite.com

mzee
23-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I installed XP pro in 2001, it has outlasted several computers!
Installed SP1 because there was an issue with a USB modem. Later installed SP2 for no good reason, and have never had any serious problems which were not the result of me doing something stupid. :-)
I have never done any updates since one crashed it. I always back up with Acronis so it was not a disaster.

There is enough bloat-ware without unwanted updates!
Just keep a good Antivrus , Greebie catcher & Fire wall. Don't use IE or MSN.

Greven
23-04-2008, 10:36 PM

I have read a few web pages on it and they all seem to vary a bit on the process.

I did try it long ago with Win2k but not tried it since.

If you download nlite from http://www.nliteos.com then it is really easy - just follow your nose through the wizard.

bob_doe_nz
23-04-2008, 11:16 PM
If you download nlite from http://www.nliteos.com then it is really easy - just follow your nose through the wizard.

Hell yeah! I've been using it since the early beta stages and even then it rocked! :punk

Couple that with Black vipers site and you have a fully armed and operational battlestation

sarel
24-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Now for us stupid ones here - wouldn't one of you Ubergeeks slipstream SP 3 and - oh wait, that's stupid, just realised you slipstream it into your original XP disk or program. B*gger.

sarel

Greg
24-04-2008, 08:14 AM
no service packs = moronic.
Its not just security is stability, drivers etc etc etcThat's a kinda broad statement. I've been using XP SP1 for several years and never had any stability issues. I don't do updates and the only fix I did was a security patch to cover a weakness in Win Media Player.

PressF1 user Pctek says much the same thing.

DeSade
24-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Not quite as broad as you think there Greg.
I said NO service packs = moronic, I do think you can get away with just SP1

JJJJJ
24-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I have installed all SP's as soon as available. I have always allowed MS to install all "criticals" whenever they want to.

I have never had a problem and XP has never given trouble. I installed SP3 beta months ago and immediately noticed a speed increase and much smoother running.

In my opinion XP is the best ever OS.

I did download the trial version of Vista. Ran it for a couple of weeks and then threw it out. Complete rubbish!.

While on the subject of OS's. I've been reading "millions" of posts about all the faults with vista and I still can't understand why presumably intelligent people bought it, in the face of all the complaints.
I have heard "It came with the computer" given as an excuse. What a load of crap. When you buy a computer you specify what you want, not what the shop is trying to push on you.

Greg
24-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Not quite as broad as you think there Greg.
I said NO service packs = moronic, I do think you can get away with just SP1Gotcha. And yep - just SP1 works for me and I wouldn't want to be without it.

Pato
24-04-2008, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=JJJJJ;666454]I have installed all SP's as soon as available. I have always allowed MS to install all "criticals" whenever they want to.
I presume you have to install 'criticals' manually? or how do you let MS do them?

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I presume you have to install 'criticals' manually? or how do you let MS do them?

Either go to the Windowsupdate site and let it scan, then install them.

Or do the above click on the links (on the +'s), then get them manually from the MS download site, then install them .

Or go to the MS site, where the security updates are, and get them from there

pctek
24-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I've been reading "millions" of posts about all the faults with vista and I still can't understand why presumably intelligent people bought it, in the face of all the complaints.
I have heard "It came with the computer" given as an excuse. What a load of crap. When you buy a computer you specify what you want, not what the shop is trying to push on you.
But most people buy their computers from Toaster shops - Noel leemings, HN, etc.

And they tell you there is no more XP.

Actually soon there will be no more XP and I'll be forced to build the things with Vista.

Its Microsofts idea not ours...........

Agent_24
24-04-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm keeping my XP as long as feasibly possible. Which will probably be forever, provided I've got hardware old enough to run it. Which again, will probably be forever...

That doesn't mean I won't get vista, or any OS newer than it, but XP is a very fast and very good OS for just about anything you want to throw at it.

Only way they can really kill it is to make new hardware and not release XP drivers.

zqwerty
24-04-2008, 04:49 PM
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=664

gary67
24-04-2008, 09:53 PM
This PC came without an XP cd but does have a recovery partition is there a way for myself and others in the same boat to make a copy of our installation and then slipstream sp3 into it?

I have since built several PC's for friends etc and still don't have a copy spare of XP home only a copy of XP pro which is installed on my wife's PC so can't use it to do mine.

:help:

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2008, 10:04 PM
That maybe a bit tricky Gary, as it'll probably need more than 1 CD (or 1 DVD) to create the restore cd's.

If its as bad as what I did a while ago, that needed 11 cds lol

Unless it'll let you select the main cd, but then you'll probably be there all night swapping cd's (If you dont copy all of them to the hdd)

wainuitech
24-04-2008, 10:21 PM
But most people buy their computers from Toaster shops - Noel leemings, HN, etc.

And they tell you there is no more XP.

Actually soon there will be no more XP and I'll be forced to build the things with Vista.

Its Microsofts idea not ours........... Real computer Shops, like pctek's and many others should still be able to get XP for a while. I know I can still offer XP.

Makes me smile when ever I see the comment " Toaster Shops" -- its so true :lol:
We were in hardly Normals the other week and the poor sales guy wondered what I was smiling at while " just looking".

gary67
25-04-2008, 11:30 AM
That maybe a bit tricky Gary, as it'll probably need more than 1 CD (or 1 DVD) to create the restore cd's.

If its as bad as what I did a while ago, that needed 11 cds lol

Unless it'll let you select the main cd, but then you'll probably be there all night swapping cd's (If you dont copy all of them to the hdd)

Thanks Speedy might be easier to just buy an XP home cd since I have my own key then.

:thanks