I have the following specs in an htpc

Asus m2a-vm hdmi motherboard
8600gt pci-e graphics card
2 gb DDR2 667 ram
CPU:AMD 64bit Athlon 4000+ AM2 Dual Core 2.1GHzx2 1MB L2
hvr2200 tv tuner
cyberlink powerdvd 8 codecs
Vista ultimate, using the enhanced video renderer
I have installed the latest drivers, bios etc etc.
Do you think I should be able to get a decent video image with this?
I do not play any games so my understanding from my research is that the 8600gt should be more than capable of hardware encoding of the h.264 high definition freeview television service.

I have a very poor video image most of the time. Large blocky pixels everywhere and I have enabled every thing I can find that I thought would help. The high definition freeview demo looks good except it is a bit jerky which makes no sense because it tells me I am getting 50-55 fps with no jitter.

I am more than willing to ditch everything and start again if needed but I am totally sick of spending money and time on something that has a much poorer image than my set top box which is only connected to my television via a composite cable.

I connect to my television(flat panel lcd) via a breakout cable from the graphics card to component.

Anyone have any great ideas to stop me pulling my hair out.
The wife is ready to leave me and the kids are getting very angry they just want to watch a dvd without me having to set up the htpc every time for half an hour.
:waughh:

Bantu
21-04-2008, 08:36 PM
The setup sounds fine especially the Graphics Card.

Try using MediaPortal the new RC1 is great.

Windows Media Centre still does not work properly in NZ for HD

You will also need the AAC audio for HDTV.
Take a look at the forum for New Zealand
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-talk-45/calling-all-mp-new-zealanders-both-you-2321/

No1Daemon
21-04-2008, 08:46 PM
The setup sounds fine especially the Graphics Card.

Try using MediaPortal the new RC1 is great.

Windows Media Centre still does not work properly in NZ for HD

You will also need the AAC audio for HDTV.
Take a look at the forum for New Zealand
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-talk-45/calling-all-mp-new-zealanders-both-you-2321/

I have tried mediaportal, gbpvr, dvbviewer and was tossing up over sagetv except I dont think it supports the graphics card.
I used the latest snapshot build of mediaportal and tv server. Just cannot get a decent picture. There must be something I am missing?

No1Daemon
21-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Ahhh! Sorry, I just checked out Mediaportal and I was unaware of RC1. I was confusing it with something else.

I will give it a try as it can't hurt.

Thanks

Bantu
21-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a Hauppauge HVR4000 so Mediaportal can do both DVB-T and DVT-S no problem.

So far the RC1 release has been the best software I have used and I have been trying quite a few and a lot of MP releases.

No1Daemon
21-04-2008, 09:18 PM
You may well be right about the software. I was quite happy with Mediaportal out of everything else except dvbviewer gave me a better picture, but with far less features and a worse interface.

No1Daemon
22-04-2008, 09:51 AM
I installed RC1 and it has made the picture watchable. Perhaps it was the directx update?
The only thing now is I can not find tv3 or 4 or the freeview hd demo.
I used the dvb-t tuning parameters file posted on geekzone by cranz but it doesn't find them.

Do you think a snapshot install might solve the problem?