PDA

View Full Version : Smart Bandwidth monitoring of Internet-only traffic based on IP?

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Greets all,

So, now that most of the family has their own laptop, we're chewing through the bandwidth.

We spent about 10 days of last month capped even WITH me trying to keep an eye on what our usage was and NO downloading of my own :(

Uncapped yesterday and we went through 2.6GB?! :O

We're capped today, but thankfully being on Ihugs Broadband 3 plan means tomorrow we're back to full-speed. However, we're heading the right direction for being capped after 10-odd days this month :(

So, my solution? Install local bandwidth monitoring software on each PC / Laptop (My Linux desktop doesnt matter -- Its more server now than Desktop use)

I tried a few like FreeMeter & Rokario's Bandwidth Monitor, but I noticed that as soon as I copied the setup files across the network that they were being counted as "traffic" which I dont want because they wont count toward our monthly online usage.

So, here's my network layout:
http://www.gliffy.com/pubdoc/1405044/L.jpg

Basically I want to be able to say to the software "If its going to 192.168.0.X or 192.168.1.X then ignore the traffic or log it totally separately"

This is mostly because the family frequently enjoys a game of Age of Conquerors, or streams media across the network, none of which will count towards our internet usage.

It'd be nice if the software could sit down in the systray and possibly even be password protected (not essential thou).

Any suggestions appreciated, I'd prefer if it were free too...

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Perhaps even just filtering based on Port?

So ports 80 is obviously logged, but the SMB port isnt (Windows filesharing)...

Deathwish
21-04-2008, 09:26 PM
mmm, if anyone has the answer, I would be interested in it too. Have similar issues at home. Not quite as large a network as Chill though ofcourse :P

somebody
21-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Chill: Is it an option for you to tweak your network a little bit, so that everyone sees your PC as the "gateway", which will allow you to do the monitoring at your end? I've been successfully using a linux app called "netacctd-mysql" which monitors internet-bound traffic, and logs it to a MySQL server. I have written a quick and dirty PHP script which fetches the data and displays it nicely.

An approach like this will mean that you need to leave your PC on 24/7 however...

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2008, 11:53 PM
My PC's on 24/7 anyways, so that wouldnt be a problem. If traffic could be routed to / through my SubAtomix box somehow then cool but right now it bypasses it altogether and I'd rather avoid a huge LAN makeover if I could... :-/

Had thought of installing something like Squid & giving them all usernames / passwords for the proxy, but that may be a little much for me at the moment.

stu161204
22-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Maybe you need to kindly ask your family what they are doing on the internet??

And maybe need to check all the laptops to see if they are downloading any updates etc…

Your wireless network is secure??

beeswax34
22-04-2008, 03:05 AM
You could try the Bandwidth monitor in my sig. It identifies the traffic carried through each network adapter (theres like 10 on my laptop for some reason) and then lists the traffic on each individual adapter.

If you could isolate the right adapter, you would get the metric that you need.

Chilling_Silence
22-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Ive got a couple that do all traffic through a certain adapter, but they also include things like smb traffic, or other internal traffic which I dont want to "count"..

Stu, I did, they all denied it, however I know one of them has been gaming from time to time, and another watches 10-15 videos a day on YouTUBE, I just cant prove it...

Will give BB Meter a try for now, thanks :)

Any other ideas?

heni72847
22-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I've looked for similar programs before too, but gave up
thanks to your post now I've found this after wasting some time on google:
www.trafficstatistic.com

I've tested the window version for 10min
seems to work fine on xp
you can easily exclude traffic from local addresses
also there's a linux version! haven't tried that yet

however it does install WinPcap (an old beta version...) and it also starts two services
one is a http server of some sort to generate its reports
and I'm guessing the other records the traffic
then there's a GUI to display all the stuff, which doesn't have to be running for traffic recording to work

edit: forgot to mention, it's free

wratterus
22-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Linux proxy + Squid etc = best way around this problem.

At work we have that set up, can monitor all bandwidth and limit if necessary, and it's also set up to cache, and we save about 4 GB a month of our approx 20GB usage.

Maybe some time in the future when you have a bit of time on your hands. :)

Chilling_Silence
25-04-2008, 12:18 PM
TrafficStatistic looks good, might give it a whirl tonight :D thanks!

ughnz
25-04-2008, 12:51 PM
IPCOP from www.ipcop.org will do what you wont if you are happy to have one PC as a gateway.

Chilling_Silence
09-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Cant have a dedicated PC gateway, have enough fluff on my network already... ;)

But yeah, TrafficStatistic doesnt seem to wanna work with Vista.

We're at 19GB and only 20 days into our "month", so Im screwed this time around.. I swear its the YouTube & online gaming my younger sibblings doing now he has his own laptop, downloading all those silly little free MMORPG's and whatnot :( :( :(

SolMiester
10-06-2008, 12:07 AM
How about PRTG Traffic Grapher (http://www.paessler.com/prtg)....I'm going to give it a try, just turn on SNMP on the router

Chilling_Silence
10-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Unfortunately neither my Dynalink RTA1320 nor my Asus WL-520GC running DD-WRT Micro supports SNMP :(

Any other suggestions?

Im tempted to go buy the Asus WL-520GU which would support the mini DD-WRT as opposed to the micro edition, apparently that has SNMP?

All the clients I really wanna monitor connect wirelessly anyways...

sal
10-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Not sure if it's useful in your situation but check out Bandwidth Controller (http://bandwidthcontroller.com/traffic-shaping/traffic-shaping.html).

Chilling_Silence
10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Not sure if it'll be able to distinguish between Internet traffic and LAN traffic, but I'l give it a whirl :)

thanks

Anybody else have any suggestions?

I like how TrafficStatistic did it, adding an "exceptions" list to the monitored traffic so anything from XYZ didnt count towards traffic usage :)

SolMiester
10-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately neither my Dynalink RTA1320 nor my Asus WL-520GC running DD-WRT Micro supports SNMP :(

Any other suggestions?

Im tempted to go buy the Asus WL-520GU which would support the mini DD-WRT as opposed to the micro edition, apparently that has SNMP?

All the clients I really wanna monitor connect wirelessly anyways...

Bad luck regards the router....My linksys works well with the SNMP sensing...

It had about 5 sensors, however I didnt see where to view traffic info, only had an overall quantity, but I didnt spend too much time with it. I got the feeling though that you can set up snmp on all the other pc's, then the program captures their usage. Trouble is the free version only comes with 3 free sensors, looks like you need around a dozen+