PDA

View Full Version : No Internet problems

JJJJJ
18-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I've been reading quite a lot lately about internet problems.

Just to cheer everyone I wish to report no problems of any sort in over a year. Twelve months ago I was downloading at 3000 kbps and uploading at over 700.

The download speed has increased in two stages and today I am connecting at 4500kbps.

As I write this, NZ DSL reports 4385 down and 698 up.

Just thought I'rd let you all know that not everone is having trouble.

I'm in Rotorua and with Xnet.:clap :clap :clap

Greg
18-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Nice one :nerd:

wratterus
18-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Good stuff.

lakewoodlady
18-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Glad someone has joy in their life! I'm in Taupo and not as fast as yours. (Xnet)

wainuitech
18-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Want an extra 20% more speed ??? ( ALMOST)

Saw the article below while surfing through some of the tech forms: I thought - yeah right- but I checked the settings and :eek: they are right - tried it and while I did get a speed increase after a reboot I wouldn't say 20%. But it is noticeable when pages are loading on the PC I tried it on.

Works on XP PRO - ( not HM as it doesn't have gpedit) Have not tried on Vista Yet.

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth! Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. M*crosoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
Took a snapshot of the Explain Tab (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/GP1208493895.jpg)

Maybe it should read PLEASE EXPLAIN MS!!!

JJJJJ
18-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Want an extra 20% more speed ??? ( ALMOST)

Saw the article below while surfing through some of the tech forms: I thought - yeah right- but I checked the settings and :eek: they are right - tried it and while I did get a speed increase after a reboot I wouldn't say 20%. But it is noticeable when pages are loading on the PC I tried it on.

Works on XP PRO - ( not HM as it doesn't have gpedit) Have not tried on Vista Yet.

Took a snapshot of the Explain Tab (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/GP1208493895.jpg)

Maybe it should read PLEASE EXPLAIN MS!!!

A flop!
Typing gpedit.msc produces "Windows can not find gpedit.msc ...etc etc.

wainuitech
18-04-2008, 05:58 PM
A flop!
Typing gpedit.msc produces "Windows can not find gpedit.msc ...etc etc. Yep ! as I wrote DOESN"T WORK ON XP HM as it doesn't contain gpedit.msc --- only XP Pro, but cant confirm yes or no in Vista - have not tried yet.

EDIT: Works in Vista Ultimate, have not tried Premium, Business or Basic Yet.

FoxyMX
18-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Works on XP PRO - ( not HM as it doesn't have gpedit)

Bugger. :(

feersumendjinn
18-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Doesnt work in Vista Premium (well, doesnt find gpedit.msc in Start Orb search anyway ;))

JJJJJ
18-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Sorry, WainuiT. Read your post fully this time. have XP home.

Erayd
18-04-2008, 08:55 PM
You can set the same thing using regedit for XP home - gpedit is just a fancy GUI for messing with the group policy areas of the registry.

wainuitech
18-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Tis alright:cool:

I Did read a way to get gpedit working on a XP HM PC, BUT before I post what the article said I want to try it - Rather screw a test workshop PC that doesn't matter than "suggest" someone tries it.:groan:

rumpty
18-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Hasn't this gaining of bandwidth thing by setting the QOS to 0% been proved a fallacy?

This is what MS says:

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support
There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q316666&

mikebartnz
19-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Hasn't this gaining of bandwidth thing by setting the QOS to 0% been proved a fallacy?

This is what MS says:

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support
There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q316666&
and you believe them.