PDA

View Full Version : Fire Fox in Vista Business won't let me update itself~

powerover
18-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I recently reinstalled FireFox from the DVD that came with PC world, the April issue. It is version 2.0.0.12.

Now I know that it is not the latest version so I tried to update it. I click on "help", then the manual drops down with the "check for updates" option grayed out, so i can't click on it to update to the latest version.:badpc:

did i do anything wrong? How do i get it to update again? i know that you can just go to the official website and download the latest version, but i would like to find out how can i enable the "check for updates" thing in the help drop down manual.

Thanks for the help.

Morgenmuffel
18-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Have you tried running firefox in safemode
you'll need to go to Start --> All Programs --> Mozilla Firefox --> Mozilla Firefox (safe mode), see if that makes a difference, safe mode will disable all extensions

To set auto update go here

Tools --> Options --> select Advanced icon from the pop-up --> then select the update tab and the settings should be there

Morgenmuffel
18-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Might be a stupid Question but have you tried logging in as an admin level user and then trying to run the firefox update

powerover
18-04-2008, 09:41 PM
thanks for the reply Nigel.

The automatic update is on, and I try using safemode but it doesn't want to let me update either. any other ideas?

cheers.

powerover
18-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Might be a stupid Question but have you tried logging in as an admin level user and then trying to run the firefox update

yup, I am the only user so I always log in as an admin. thnks

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Try this (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Check+for+Updates+is+disabled)

I dont know if that applies to Windows as well

powerover
19-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks Speedy, I understand what it is talking about but I don't think that is the case. And even if what it says does apply to windows I would have no idea how to "use your distribution's package management utility (for example, Synaptic Package Manager, Adept Manager, or Yum)."

I used to have Win XP on my laptop now I have both Win XP and Vista. I used the same DVD from PC world to install firefox, in Win XP it let me update but not Vista.......:badpc:

I think I will just download the new version from the official website. But thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.