PDA

View Full Version : usb power and forgotton password

mrplane
17-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi , My usb ports are powered up all the time, is it possible to change a setting so they dont work when pc turned off. My mobo is asus p5ke. I looked in manual and cant see anything. Also i have an old pc i have forgotton the password to log into windows, anyway to get around this so i can use it ,thanks

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2008, 08:58 PM
It maybe a jumper, on the mobo, that you have to swap over to disable USB when the system is off.

I think on this system the jumper is called PS2_USB_PWR1

Changing this jumper on this will also turn the mouse off (If its a USB optical mouse)

Altho most USB ports are still "active" when a system is off. Which is handy for people who use Ipods or devices that can recharge, while the system is off

Try removing the battery or remove the CMOS jumper on the pc you cant remember the password for, for about a minute. Then put it back on. You'll have to reconfigure the BIOS after

Blam
17-04-2008, 09:34 PM
If you're running XP
1. Reboot your machine.
2. Press F8 before the Windows boot screen appears.
* Do not press F5 as used on the NT/9x series of Windows.
3. You will be be prompted with a boot options menu.
4. Then select Start Windows in Safe Mode option.
5. Click through several self-explanatory screens until your reach the familiar 'Welcome' screen.
6. Note that this welcome screen is limited to 256 colors and 640x480 resolution because the primary graphics will have been set to the Windows Safe Mode software VGA adapter. You will not be able to change this mode even in Display options, while Windows is running in Safe Mode.
7. Find the icon for the Administrator user. If the default settings of your system haven't been changed, there should be no password for this account.
* The Safe Mode Welcome screen might display some of the other users on your system.
8. Login as the admin.
9. Press Yes at the prompt asking if you would like to continue using Safe Mode.
10. Continue on to the User Settings control panel. Here you can change any of the other passwords for user on the machine. Make any changes you want.
11. Reboot your computer. As long as you don't press any keys, the boot-up the computer will startup normally.
12. Login as the user for which you set the password.

Blam
17-04-2008, 09:35 PM
also this website might help
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Oops I misread the first post, I didnt read you forgot the password for Windows not the BIOS

mrplane
17-04-2008, 09:58 PM
starting in safemode did the trick, no jumper on mobo for usb that i can see

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Any reason why you want to turn USB off??

Just turn it off at the switch on the case

mrplane
17-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I was overseas recently and bought a multifunction panel, it has a card reader,3 usb plugs, sata and fire wire plug, and speaker and mic connections. It also has a row of led,s on it which change colour.The problem is when i connect to mobo, my pc wont turn on.It has a 4pin power connection and usb plug, if i disconnect usb plug pc will turn on.the unit will work if i remove the 4 pin power supply but the led,s stay lit up when i turn pc off. i tried it on old pc will work with both connected, only thing i can see is one has usb on when pc off , i hope you understand all this, confusing

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Umm did u check the BIOS after you installed this, to see if the hard drive was still the bootdisk??

Since its a card reader, it will also act as a disk / removable disk.

And it may have changed the boot order in the BIOS to this panel. Or something else (besides the hard drive)

Which is why its not booting.

Another thing with card readers, is since it acts as a disk, if you ever format this computer's hdd, you may have to remove / unplug this panel. Before you format. Since XP's setup will or may try and install XP on this panel. (and allocate it the letter C)

If you connect the panel to a spare molex connection, I would also make sure the pins are connecting properly. They have a habit of coming out and when this happens it wont boot (If you've got the connector going to the hard drive as well).

mrplane
17-04-2008, 10:42 PM
the pc wont even power up, fans dont turn on ,nothing

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Whats the hard drive SATA or IDE?

If its SATA or IDE (And the power for it is connected to a molex adaptor, make sure its plugged in properly).

If theyre not making contact, it wont boot

wainuitech
17-04-2008, 11:01 PM
This may sound silly but its not - Are you sure the USB plug is actually being plugged into a USB header and not some other - I had a customer have that same problem as yours and that was what was happening.

Also is the USB plug a single plug with all wires or separate plugs for different components.

only thing i can see is one has usb on when pc off , i hope you understand all this, confusing Have you tried another USB device plugged into that header and is that device causing any problems - other thing to try is use a different header on the board ( if it has one) or unplug what ever is on a known working header and try that.

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Thats true because its got firewire onboard too

USB and firewire have got the same amount of pins and are also keyed the same way

Erayd
17-04-2008, 11:08 PM
If you're running XP
1. Reboot your machine.
2. Press F8 before the Windows boot screen appears.
* Do not press F5 as used on the NT/9x series of Windows.
3. You will be be prompted with a boot options menu.
4. Then select Start Windows in Safe Mode option.
5. Click through several self-explanatory screens until your reach the familiar 'Welcome' screen.
6. Note that this welcome screen is limited to 256 colors and 640x480 resolution because the primary graphics will have been set to the Windows Safe Mode software VGA adapter. You will not be able to change this mode even in Display options, while Windows is running in Safe Mode.
7. Find the icon for the Administrator user. If the default settings of your system haven't been changed, there should be no password for this account.
* The Safe Mode Welcome screen might display some of the other users on your system.
8. Login as the admin.
9. Press Yes at the prompt asking if you would like to continue using Safe Mode.
10. Continue on to the User Settings control panel. Here you can change any of the other passwords for user on the machine. Make any changes you want.
11. Reboot your computer. As long as you don't press any keys, the boot-up the computer will startup normally.
12. Login as the user for which you set the password.
No need to boot in safe mode, just hit CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the welcome screen - this will give you a classic login box and allow Administrator logins, unless the account has been disabled.