PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP ms Excel

Mervyn
17-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Help

In a listing only spreadsheet that has had deletions and insertions over time I have somehow managed to totally disrupt the number sequence in the first left hand column. Is there any way I can magically push a button and restore the numbers into consecutive order?

Thanks ,Mervyn

Bantu
17-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Click on the column and click the A-Z or Z-A button

You can sort by any column like that

Mervyn
17-04-2008, 01:38 PM
That's great thanks very much. I can start a new column with the numbers which I can keep in order but I was wondering if there was any way I could restore the Spreadsheet numbers themselves into their consecutive order ( don't ask me how i got them out of order in the first place!)

Mervyn

nofam
17-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi Mervyn,

There's no magic way you can get it back, but the best thing to do if you have a sort order that isn't logical is to index it yourself - manually get everything back in the correct order, then create a new column in A, and index all your rows, starting at 1 through to the end. Then hide column A.

You now have a way to get all your rows back in the correct sequence if you need to resort by name etc.

HTH - let me know if you need more explanation on this :)

Bantu
17-04-2008, 02:56 PM
You do not have to physically renumber each row.

Type 1 then select all the cells you want to number below 1 and choose Edit menu, fill, fill series and select 1 as the step value

nofam
17-04-2008, 03:28 PM
You do not have to physically renumber each row.

Type 1 then select all the cells you want to number below 1 and choose Edit menu, fill, fill series and select 1 as the step value

Sorry Bantu - just assumed Mervyn would know about fill series! ;)

Mervyn
17-04-2008, 06:57 PM
sorry all I am now completely lost. Don't understand the "fill series". When one starts of with a blank spread sheet the extreme left column records numbers for the rows in consecutive sequence. Somehow or other when I have deleted and/or added rows these numbers are no longer in sequence i.e I jump from 16 to 18 so somehow I deleted the number 17. Stupid me, where on earth did 17 go to ? I really now want 18 to become 17 and 19 to become 18 etc.
thank you all for your perserverence Mervyn

nofam
18-04-2008, 11:53 AM
It's not actually possible to permanently delete rows or columns Mervyn - it sounds to me like you might have 'hidden' some rows if your row numbering jumps from 16 to 18.

Try pressing 'CTRL A' to select your entire sheet, and then right-click anywhere on a row number, and select 'unhide'.

Let us know how you get on.

Mervyn
18-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Brilliant ! Marvellous !! Fantastic!
You may have guessed by now "controlA"and "unhide" has restored my consecutive number system.
Thank you all so much for your patience - it has saved me a lot of retyping trouble.
So grateful, Mervyn

nofam
18-04-2008, 01:27 PM
:lol: Easy mistake to make!!