PDA

View Full Version : Printer wont print from computer

Merv
17-04-2008, 09:37 AM
My system runs XP SP2 with HP PSC 950 printer.
Problem started when printer very slow to react to computer command (3-4 minutes). Measures tried; checked physical connections (ok);tried reloading printer software (original removed first), result 'Operating system does not match the supported operating systems or service packs'. Checked XP list of stored drivers, psc 950 is listed and was installed (followed on-screen instructions). Printer disconnected then reconnnected, computer recognizes new hardware. Computer stores print files ready to process (checked printer icon on computer). Print function checked by copying a document.
Where to from here?

pctek
17-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Did you download a new driver form HP?

Merv
18-04-2008, 08:55 AM
No, I used the psc 950 driver presumably included with the XP software.

Printer was originally installed on this computer when it was running Win 98. When I changed to XP (several years ago) there were no problems with getting the printer to work.

In attempting to correct the current problem, I used the on-board Help and Support Centre.

wainuitech
18-04-2008, 09:07 AM
When using the onboard help, did that fix the problem ?

If not Work through this page (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01368549&lc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&rule=33337&product=60259&dlc=en).

One other thing to check - go to the printer in printer and faxes, right click the printer / properties/Ports Tab, make sure its set to the correct USB port.

I wouldn't trust the XP drivers as they are NOT the complete package, HP do have drivers for that printer Download here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&product=60259&dlc=en) 37.58 Mb

pctek
18-04-2008, 10:51 AM
No, I used the psc 950 driver presumably included with the XP software..

Well, I suggest downloading an XP driver from their own site, don't let Windows do it.

Merv
20-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your help guys. With the exception of downloading the driver from HP as suggested by Wainuitech, I followed your advice and re-did everything yet again. The printer now works although I cant display the director. I have noted the 37.5MB download and if I have any further problem I will install that. A little reluctant though because we are still on dialup - Telecom have told us it wont work where we are. Thanks again.
Merv