PDA

View Full Version : Our club want to run a Bulletin Board

John W
16-04-2008, 08:43 AM
While I use a few of these, whats involved in running one?

Im a relatively experienced PC user but I donít know anyone who has or runs a bulletin board, so comments welcome.

I do my websites using Frontpage, can I incorporate a bulletin board with Frontpage (my server only accepts Frontpage extensions) so if I use Filezilla to manage the bulletin board, will it muck up the rest of the website?

Thanks

John.

Greg
16-04-2008, 09:52 AM
I'd recommend using a bulletin board / forum system such as PHPBB (http://www.phpbb.com). Real easy to run, and can be customised to the N'th degree if you so choose. The makers also offer tons of support, along with several PF1 users who can help too.

I doubt you can use Frontpage to create the BB, and nor do you need to. You download the software from PHPBB's site (if your host doesn't have it preinstalled), upload it to your site, then make the customisations.

Keep in mind that you can install it first before making it public so you can take the time to learn your way around it.

DeSade
16-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I would recommend a nice easy one so you do not have to code it yourself.

http://www.proboards.com/index.html

Check it out, have a look at their samples. I use this one have have done for over a year without any problems at all.

Thebananamonkey
16-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Or, since you're already familiar with this site you could buy a copy of vBulletin for $160. We use it at work, and it's fairly intuitive. It does cost though, so that's up to you.

Greg
16-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Or, since you're already familiar with this site you could buy a copy of vBulletin for $160. We use it at work, and it's fairly intuitive. It does cost though, so that's up to you.vBulletin is good, but a) it costs, and b) too complex

Morgenmuffel
16-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Talk with your webhost, you may already have fantastico installed on your server, If you do, have a look under fantastico in your control panel and there may be an option to install phpBB automatically

Does your hosting package provide you with a database etc?

Nermal
16-04-2008, 01:38 PM
(my server only accepts Frontpage extensions)

I'm not aware of any bulletin boards that can run with only FPSE. You'll need either ASP or ASP.NET (on a Windows server) or PHP (Windows or Unix server). You'll also need a database, two popular ones are MySQL and MS SQL Server, both supported by the phpBB software mentioned earlier.