PDA

View Full Version : System Preparation Tool 2.0

NZHawk
14-04-2008, 09:09 AM
I received an laptop from a supplier with System Preparation Tool 2.0.
It boots every time the laptop restarts.
I don't need it any more & have been unable to discover how to uninstall it.

Does anyone know how to remove System Preparation Tool 2.0?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
14-04-2008, 09:18 AM
By the looks of it, whoever put it there, may have to remove it (http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/windows-xp/remove-system-preperation-tool-4040.html)

I think its used to make customised setups / OEM versions of Windows

NZHawk
14-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Thank you, I'll contact the supplier.

Cheers

wainuitech
14-04-2008, 09:43 AM
have you let it run all the way through, and completed filling in all the details, this should only run once when a User first starts the PC from New.

If it runs more than once, then its either a bad install, or the parameters in sysprep have been entered wrong.

NZHawk
14-04-2008, 10:12 AM
The System Preparation Tool has three buttons to choose from: Factory, Audit and Reseal; then there are Options:
- Don't reset grace period
- Use mini set up
- Dont regenerate security identifiers
Shutdown mode is set to shutdown

how do I allow it to run all the way through?

Speedy Gonzales
14-04-2008, 10:40 AM
This is what the options mean (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577)

I have no idea what you select, I've never used Sysprep for anything

Take it back to the supplier, and let them fix it

wainuitech
14-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I'll Let you know the setting in a short while, just need to check.

NZHawk
14-04-2008, 12:05 PM
The supplier suggested that I choose the "Reseal" option.
Unfortunately that has boloxed the whole thing & now it looks like I'll need to do a reformat.
Bugger

Thanks for your help.

wainuitech
14-04-2008, 12:58 PM
yep the reseal along with regenerate security identifiers should have taken it back to factory settings, meaning when the person starts the PC for the first time, they enter the local area's ( NZ) User name etc.

You shouldn't even be seeing the sysprep app box, that would indicate the original install is corrupted in some way - and it looks like you confirmed that by saying resealing screwed the OS.

I use sysprep quite a bit especially when making Images, run the sysprep tool, then clone the drive in that state, load the image to a new PC and when it boots, simply fill in the customers details / product key etc.

pctek
14-04-2008, 03:27 PM
You shouldn't even be seeing the sysprep app box, that would indicate the original install is corrupted in some way

I just had one of those in this morning. It was bought in because
1) Had endless problems since purchased
2) Was showing some text and going round and round

Well it had apparently just completed its factory restore as it I turned it on and it asked me to activate XP then showed this.

Nothing left of the original users stuff at all.

They were in tears...............its odd, It had a 40GB drive with 37GB showing under XP. No partitions showing from within windows.

So how does this fatcory restore without the user initiating it in the first place, they said they hadn't.

wainuitech
14-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I just had one of those in this morning. It was bought in because
1) Had endless problems since purchased
2) Was showing some text and going round and round

Well it had apparently just completed its factory restore as it I turned it on and it asked me to activate XP then showed this.

Nothing left of the original users stuff at all.

They were in tears...............its odd, It had a 40GB drive with 37GB showing under XP. No partitions showing from within windows.

So how does this fatcory restore without the user initiating it in the first place, they said they hadn't. Sounds like there may have been some sort of bad Images some how. I have never heard of sysprep running on its own (possible I spose if there's a fault) Normally to run sysprep you do it command prompt "At the command prompt, change to the Sysprep folder, and then type: sysprep –nosidgen with the parameters you select".

OR as I do go to the sysprep folder on the main drive, locate the Sysprep.exe and run it from there.

Mind you a factory restore (recovery) and sysprep are different processes.

Sysprep when run "should" return a PC to its "new user" Setup - for example, when I run sysprep on a new install, I load all the programs like Office (trials) adobe ( sometimes) zipping programs, etc, then run sysprep and it basically deletes the original user account,seals the PC and leaves all the programs intact, then when the PC is run it goes through the "setup " of a new user, location, product key, any license agreements for programs etc. ( like a new Compaq, Dell, Acer etc)

What you may find is if you remove the drive, and attach as a second, run a data recovery program through, it may, if lucky, and depending on what was ran, locate the original persons data. It may still be there, just had the start bits removed so windows cant see it.

Recovery programs normally wont run them selves, they need user input ( as ya know),if the recovery was run, sounds like someone (no one touched it) pressed F10 (example) and run it, maybe instead of system restore through windows.

pctek
14-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Sounds like there may have been some sort of bad Images some how. I have never heard of sysprep running on its own

Sysprep when run "should" return a PC to its "new user" Setup - for example,

Recovery programs normally wont run them selves, .

My thoughts exactly. What I spent ages explaining to them. They swear they didn't.
They did have some friends using it a short time ago, who knows?

Literally they were i tears, they have 2 portable HDDs, but hadn't backed up for 3 1/2 months.

Prevention is always better than cure..........

wainuitech
14-04-2008, 05:50 PM
My thoughts exactly. What I spent ages explaining to them. They swear they didn't.
They did have some friends using it a short time ago, who knows?

Literally they were i tears, they have 2 portable HDDs, but hadn't backed up for 3 1/2 months.

Prevention is always better than cure..........

Unfortunately you can advice that over and over, but its not till something happens and then its to late.

I spose at worst they lost the last 3 1/2 months of data - since the last backup-- automated backups - the way to go, as for any of our PC's here - I lose 1 days worth at the worst since they are automated to back up daily at 8 pm