PDA

View Full Version : Unexplainable start up problem

Growler
13-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Ok...my partners computer has a wierd start up problem.
I will turn on the machine and it starts up normally. However the screen says no vga imput (or something like that). I then switch the machine of at the wall which cuts the power. (Dodgy I know - but thats the only way to switch it off).
I then switch the power back on, start the pc and everything starts as per normal.
If I restart the pc the same thing happens (no vga etc) but if I kill the power, plug it back in and start the pc all is fine.
I have tried another graphics card but still does the same thing.
The monitor is an ASUS 19' LCD but only about a year old.
She is running windows XP home.
To me it seems something has to "power down" before it works normally again.
As if cutting the power resest itself.
I have checked all the leads, cards etc and everything is seated correctly.
Does anyone have any ideas on this?

The_End_Of_Reality
13-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Hmm, sounds like it could be a PSU issue, have you tried swapping that out?

Are you able to try another type of GFX card? (if you have AGP/PCI-E, try a PCI etc)

Do the fans and HDD(s) spin up?

Growler
13-04-2008, 08:08 PM

Are you able to try another type of GFX card? (if you have AGP/PCI-E, try a PCI etc)

Do the fans and HDD(s) spin up?

The PSU seams fine as it fires up everything OK. Once the PC is running all is OK.
I have tried two graphics cards (AGP) but get the same problem.

Yep - all fans and HDD spin up OK.

Deathwish
13-04-2008, 08:22 PM
does it show nothing at all on the screen for the whole time or does it atleast show something during the POST? Are you able to get into your BIOS at all? Able to press F8 and select safe mode?

Vallis
13-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I agree, I'd try another PSU to eliminate that as a likely cause.

Growler
13-04-2008, 10:28 PM
It's as if the monitor is not receiving a signal from the video card when the PC boots up...yet the card/s are working.
What I can't understand is when you swicth off the power at the wall and back on again, fire up the computer everything boots up OK.
When it does boot up I can get into the bios etc. I have looked at that and it all seems OK.

Deathwish
13-04-2008, 10:37 PM
It's as if the monitor is not receiving a signal from the video card when the PC boots up...yet the card/s are working.
What I can't understand is when you swicth off the power at the wall and back on again, fire up the computer everything boots up OK.
When it does boot up I can get into the bios etc. I have looked at that and it all seems OK.

so have you been able to try booting in safe mode?

The_End_Of_Reality
14-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Are you able to get your hands on a PCI GFX card? To rule out possible mobo issues.

Also try another PSU, like I have said earlier.

wainuitech
14-04-2008, 01:06 PM
One quick trick - open the case, with the power disconnected, unplug the main 20/24 pin power plug from the board , give it a blow out, and plug it back in.

I had a PC once that did what yours is, and it was a dodgy contact in that plug, for some reason it wasn't quite making contact the first time, did the above and it worked fine after that. Its a no $ experiment and if that doesn't work nothing lost. Then try another PSU if it still does it.