PDA

View Full Version : Event Viewer Errors - How to Resolve

kahawai chaser
12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Having a rare look through control panel - event viewer - system, for my XP home edition, and noticed a whole stack of errors relating mainly to these two errors, which have been occuring for months:

1. The HTTP service failed to start due to the following error: The specified procedure could not be found. (This relates to Event ID: 7000, Source: Service Control Manager.)

2. The SSDP Discovery Service depends on the HTTP service, which failed to start because of the following error: The specified procedure could not be found. (This relates to Event ID: 7001, Source: Service Control Manager.)

Though I don't really know specifically what these two events refer to, and nor have I noticed any real performance or otherwise issues...

Linking to the suggested Microsoft help at their support center did not appear to make things easier, as they say:

Explanation
Service Control Manager (SCM) could not start the specified service, probably because the service is not configured correctly. Then later it refers to:

To display the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered when trying to start the program, at the command prompt, type
sc query service name
The information displayed can help you troubleshoot possible causes for the error.
There was also reference to the password possibly expired. On another Microsoft help site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314357/en-us#top) there was reference to start the "Computer Policy snap-in" (whatever that is)

What service do they mean? Are such errors easily resolved (without spending seemingly hours), and would it be worth while, since I don't seem to get any issues. Anyone had similar and suggest a quick fix/modification approach so the errors don't reoccur?

Thanks in advance...

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Is Boclean by Comodo installed?

It looks like this can cause that event ID: 7000 entry / error youre seeing

It looks like these entries appear if Boclean picks up malware

As shown here (http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_boclean_antimalware/boclean_causes_event_id7000-t21048.0.html)

kahawai chaser
12-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks speedy for the quick reference link. I don't have boclean installed (I checked in add/remove programs), but I do have Comodo Firewall 2.4.18.184 and AVG Free installed.

I see what you mean though...that the two event errors I noted are possibly related to malware and/or a installed program may be reacting somehow. Though I don't seem to get noticeable issues, but sometimes when I close my Firefox browser it does occasionally come up with a error...

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Any reason why youre not using the latest version of Comodo?

Might make a diff, its up to 3.xx now

kahawai chaser
12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
OK will update, had not bothered, as I thought firewall system/structures remained largely unchanged. Thanks; I seem to worry more about anti-virus/adware updates and upgrades...