PDA

View Full Version : using dual monitors on HP docking station

chiefnz
10-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi guys as the topic states I'm trying to use dual monitors on an HP docking station (model EN488AA)

I have 2 brand new ones and can't get dual monitors working on either of them.

The DVI ports don't seem to work on these docking stations, I've tried several other ones we have and they don't give a signal off the DVI port either. VGA works fine.

Any ideas?

cheers,

Speedy Gonzales
10-04-2008, 04:34 PM
According to the HP site, these are compatible with it

Business Notebook & Tablet PCs
HP Compaq 6515b Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq 6710b Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq 6715b Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq 6910p Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq 8510p Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq 8510w Mobile Workstation
HP Compaq 8710p Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq 8710w Mobile Workstation
HP Compaq nc4200 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nc4400 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nc6120 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nc6220 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nc6230 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nc6400 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nc8230 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nc8430 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nw8240 Mobile Workstation
HP Compaq nw8440 Mobile Workstation
HP Compaq nw9440 Mobile Workstation
HP Compaq nx6120 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nx6125 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nx6320 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nx6325 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nx7400 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nx8220 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq nx9420 Business Notebook PC
HP Compaq tc4200 Tablet PC
HP Compaq tc4400 Tablet PC

(except nx6110 and selected 2006 models)

chiefnz
10-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Yep, I'm using a 6710b... have the latest updates and currently online with HP who have no idea what they are doing?

When I use the VGA port Windows detects the display fine...
When I use the DVI port nothing happens... Windows doesn't detect the monitor at all... I have tried several brand new monitors, docking stations, DVI and VGA cables without any luck.

Any thoughts...

CYaBro
10-04-2008, 06:07 PM
On my Acer docking station I have a 22" ViewSonic attached to the DVI port.
I have to make sure the monitor is on before turning on the laptop otherwise it won't detect it.
Even then it shows no picture until the Windows Login screen appears.
If it doesn't show a picture I have to press Fn+F5 to cycle through the external monitor options to select the external monitor only and then the monitor comes on and the laptop screen turns off.

chiefnz
10-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Well HP advise that I should take my docking station to the nearest HP service centre to have it tested....

Ok I'll take all 8 brand new docking stations plus the other 11 which are currently in use down to the Service Centre to test the DVI ports...

You have got to be kidding me right!!! :badpc: :confused: :badpc: :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
10-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Wouldnt you configure it through the driver config??

Like CCC if the ATI drivers are installed?

chiefnz
10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Wouldnt you configure it through the driver config??

Like CCC if the ATI drivers are installed?

Correct Speedy... when I go into the Intel Graphics properties it states...
"Two displays have to be connected to use the dual display function"

Now when I have a VGA cable plugged in I can use it fine provided I'm using the notebooks screen as a one of the monitors... if I use a DVI cable then only the notebook's screen is available. The monitor using DVI isn't even detected at all.

I have tested 4 brand new out of the box docking stations and still now luck.

Cheers,

Speedy Gonzales
10-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Well, here's your answer (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3356620&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c01300655)

DVI isnt supported, on this notebook/laptop

I think you figured that out lol

chiefnz
10-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Well that's just dandy... HP's own reps know nothing about their products...

Thanks Speedy you're a legend mate!!!

Speedy Gonzales
10-04-2008, 11:45 PM
No worries, HTH

dmadma
06-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Speedy Gonzales may I ask you some info by way of email.

dmadma

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Go for it but If its about this topic. I know nothing

bloewy
10-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I was having the same problem here. I have a 19" VGA and a 22" DVI hooked up to the HP Docking station. I could not get the DVI port on. The VGA port works fine, but looks like crappy VGA.

I was reading your posts and came accross whoever said [Fn F5]. I opened the laptop and it was actually [Fn F4]. but the point is that it worked.

You will need to cycle through a few different combonations, and the resolution will need adjusting, but both ports work now.

Thanks,

I NEVER would have tried that without reading it here.

Bill
Rockville Maryland, USA

keyslammer82
08-02-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm having a similar problem. I am using an HP Buisness Notebook (6910p) with a docking station. It USED to work with DVI to my external monitor. Several days ago, it stopped...it works with the VGA cable out of the docking station (I had to plug one in to check it out). Since this laptop does not have a DVI port...you have to use the docking station to get it. With the VGA cable plugged in, I can Fn+F4 and switch across laptop/monitor. However, with just the DVI cable plugged in my laptop BSDs and reboots if I try the Fn+F4 softkey switch. I can't seem to force the external DVI monitor with desktop properties either.

Video options are controlled with the ATI Catalyst Control center, and with just the DVI cable connected, I cannot force the system to sense an external monitor. I've also tried swapping in another BRAND NEW docking station and get the same results. I also tried booting up with the laptop lid closed (docked) and JUST the DVI cable connected to the monitor. I got the XP splash screen, and then when you would expect the logon screen...I got zip. I had to open up the laptop to finish logging in. So...DVI hardware is there and working...but somewhere along the line the software got screwed up. Windows XP update???? Why would my DVI work one day and not the next?

By the way...HP online "chat" tech support is useless.

Keyslammer