PDA

View Full Version : removing windows live

unity1
07-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi all,

I am doing a clean up of computer - I don't use or want MSN messenger or need windows live - I have Revo uninstaller - totally free http://www.revouninstaller.com - its great it goes through all the registry keys of the program you are uninstalling and deletes them for you so theoretically at least it cleans up after uninstall - so far however while uninstalling windows live - it says i have 14,888 registry keys that windows live has attached itself to - that seems like a huge amount to me ???- I'm uninstalling it anyway because I don't use or need anything from windows live

I guess I'm posting this here to warn others that simply going to control panel and uninstalling windows live will not remove the 14,888 keys it attaches itself to

I'll be back in the forum to let you know if my system crashed by doing so :annoyed: - but - I can't see why it should if i've never used any of its services

wainuitech
07-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Playing with the registry can be dangerous especially if you don't know what you are doing. True, some programs load lots of junk and can cause problems, while removing them may have no effect on other programs, the opposite can also happen - it all turns to custard.

Some registry programs actually can cause more damage than good.

My advice, make a restore point / backup BEFORE running any sort of registry altering programs, that way if it does turn to custard at least you have a chance to restore it back the way it was.

unity1
09-04-2008, 06:07 PM
how does one uninstall MSMessenger if it doesn't show up in add and remove?

and is windows live needed for anything other than messenger ? these two programes are enough to drive me to a mac if I could afford one - linnux is looking enticing to
thanks in advance

unity1
09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
yeah I should have done that but......NO ....so i pushed f10 which reinstalls everything - ho hum - now I am stuck with msmessanger and windows live - one day I am going to cure myself of this addiction to broken , slow and over bloated MS computers !!!!

SPARTAN 860
09-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Unity, its not Microsofts fault, its HP's. Most PCs come with the LINK to install Windows Live Messenger. Anyway to uninstall it, right click ur windows live messenger (or if you have an old version, MSN messenger) note the shortcut path and GO there. You'll see an uninstall link there. PS This is for Vista, dunno for XP.

and on vista, theres a entry for it in add/remove programs.

wratterus
09-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Which messenger are you talking about? MSN, or Windows Live?

Did you look under Windows Live Messenger, or Windows Live?

Or...go into add/remove programs, and select add/remove Windows Components.

Scroll down to the bottom and untick Windows messenger.

wainuitech
09-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Are you referring to Windows Live Messenger that you download and Install , or the Inbuilt messenger on XP ? If its the inbuilt downloadShoot the messenger (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Shoot_The_Messenger_d3703.html).

Speedy Gonzales
09-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Or MSN Explorer ? (which is under control panel / add/remove programs / add remove windows components) ?

Untick it, if this is what youre talking about

You cant remove Windows Messenger, as it usually opens when you run OE.

BUT, you can remove it completely with this (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/MessengerDisable.zip)

Which is from here (http://www.dougknox.com/)

Unzip it first

Speedy Gonzales
09-04-2008, 06:56 PM
You've already asked this here (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=88784)

wratterus
09-04-2008, 07:06 PM
It wouldn't be a silly idea to keep all your stuff in one thread.

unity1
09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
its both - ms messenger where you talk to friend on line - AND windows live they both have come pre installed by HP - however before I reset the computer back to factory standards - I uninstalled windows live with my free uninstaller revo which is amazing as it finds all the registry keys and removes it from the registry as well - there were over 2000 from windows live - now though both are back and I'm cautious about uninstalling windows live again - both windows live and ms messenger are back only I can't delete messenger because it doesn't show up in either add or remove or revo???

why isn't messenger come up in add and remove?

apologies, yes I did post another reference to windows live - but that was before I had to press f10 (reset) and I think it was because I might have done something by uninstalling windows live - its all getting to confusing

what is windows live for - and why does it take over so many thousands of keys in the registry - if its not needed for basic surfing and internet work then surley it can be classed as malware ? couldn't it

beeswax34
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Its NOT taking over 1000's of registry keys. The program that told you this is completely wrong about this.

wainuitech
09-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Its NOT taking over 1000's of registry keys. The program that told you this is completely wrong about this. EXACTLY - as I mentioned in post #2
"Some registry programs actually can cause more damage than good." Look back through the posts, both speedy and I have posted ways to disable Messenger.
Those reg keys are doing no harm, removing them may cause more damage than leaving them.