PDA

View Full Version : Asus - Cool & Quiet

JJJJJ
07-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I have been useing "cool & quiet" without a problem fot quite a while. Seems to me that all it does is to slow fan speed. Does it do anything else?

I notice that since I have overclocked my cpu 18% my video card will overheat. When it gets to much over 80*c my computer just reboots.
I would like to know how this can affect my cpu temp.

Is there anyway I can increase speed of video fan? I removed vid card and all fans and gave them a good clean. (They needed it). This has helped quite a bit.

Temps while running FSX.

Motherboard 61
CPU 65
CPU core1 52
CPU core 2 54
GPU 82 !!!!!!

My cpu is increased from default 2.97 to 3.6. I have had it up to 3.8 but that takes cpu temp into the 70's. My cpu is rated at 85*c, so I am well within limits.
Would like to cool GPU a bit.

Vid card is Leadtek 8800GTS with 740 megs ram

stormdragon
07-04-2008, 09:07 AM
I have been useing "cool & quiet" without a problem fot quite a while. Seems to me that all it does is to slow fan speed. Does it do anything else?

I believe it also lowers the CPU's voltage.

Edit: Isn't cool n quiet for AMD CPU's not Intel?

pctek
07-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I have been useing "cool & quiet" Seems to me that all it does is to slow fan speed.

I would like to know how this can affect my cpu temp.

CPU 65

GPU 82 !!!!!!

Yep, pretty much. I never use it.

Because its all in your case which would overall raise the interior temperature.

Thats not that high for GPU you know, they do run a lot hotter than your CPU.

Still, higher than mine.

Got plenty of case fans? Good airflow through it? Case is not in a small space? No heaters running nearby?

I'd turn off Cool n Quiet.

More like hot and quiet.

I like cool and flat out.

The_End_Of_Reality
07-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Turn cool and quiet off, it is not the best thing to have on when the CPU is overclocked.

Check that there is good air flow through the case.

82 is not high at all, as PCTek said, they do run hotter than CPUs and can handle this extra heat I have had my 8800GTS at 100 once... Power cable had caught the fan and stopped it running.

I am like PCTek, he he he, cool and flat out all the way :D

Crow1985
07-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Try it with apllications like CrystalCPUID or Rightmark.
Otherwise turn it off.
But normally you should habve none problems like this.
The temperature of the vga is normal, vga temperature could raise over 100C under load.

I Would be more concerned about the temperature of the motherboard.

Agent_24
07-04-2008, 04:46 PM
AMD's cool and quiet just steps down the multiplier of your CPU to make it run slower when idle or not doing heavy processing.

Asus's Q-Fan (not related to AMD) slows down CPU fan speed, not C'n'Q (which has nothing to do with Asus)