PDA

View Full Version : Avi to DVD player?

zahmad
06-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm a newbie when it comes to DVD's....I didn't even have a dvd burner :(. Now what I would like to do is create a proper "off the shelf" style dvd to play in my dvd player using the avi file I have downloaded of the net. In which ways am I able to undertake this task?

Thanks in advance :thanks .....

vk_dre
06-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm a newbie when it comes to DVD's....I didn't even have a dvd burner :(. Now what I would like to do is create a proper "off the shelf" style dvd to play in my dvd player using the avi file I have downloaded of the net. In which ways am I able to undertake this task?

Thanks in advance :thanks .....

Well, if you want to create a proper "off the shelf" style dvd to play in your dvd player i'd suggest using Nero (seeing as your a self confessed newbie), google search it. It's a worthwhile program even if it does cost a few $$. And even if you did get Nero Its not going to be possible to burn anything unless you have a dvd writer drive or a cd writer drive (you could make a vcd if u wanted?)... You're not too clear with your post..

Do you or do you not have a dvd burner?

vk_dre
06-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I recommend you peruse through this thread (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=88681) when you have time. There are other free alternatives to programs such as Nero, as suggested in that thread. Also Google (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Ahead+Nero+Burning+Rom&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a),
be sure to use Google, you'll inevitably find answers there most of the time.

Cheers.

zahmad
06-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I do have a dvd burner ;)

wainuitech
06-04-2008, 03:09 PM
the avi file I have downloaded of the net What is the avi file ? - provide a link so we know its legit, then you can be helped.

If you are asking on how to burn pirated movies, downloaded from some torrent or file sharing site then Read the forum Rules (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=81855) Number 5 in particular - NO help is permitted with illegal activities etc.

vk_dre
06-04-2008, 03:16 PM
How big is the AVI file?If its small enough (~350mb), I'd suggest making a VCD (assuming that your DVD player can play VCDs). Refer to this article at divx-digest (http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/avi2vcd.html). DivX Digest used to have a lot of helpful articles when I used to burn vcds and encode divx files.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

vk_dre
06-04-2008, 03:28 PM
What is the avi file ? - provide a link so we know its legit, then you can be helped.

If you are asking on how to burn pirated movies, downloaded from some torrent or file sharing site then Read the forum Rules (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=81855) Number 5 in particular - NO help is permitted with illegal activities etc.

Oh, I totally forgot to think along those lines lol. Cheers for pointing that out, but I guess it is a bit of an ignorant assumption if 'downloading an avi file off the net' = 'pirated movies, downloaded from some torrent or file sharing site'. I myself have downloaded 'avi files off the net' that were from University Sites such as MIT (Massachusetts) (in regards to ground breaking research in Biomedical Engineering) and lecture videos from other international uni sites.

I'd be pretty peeved off if I was asked to prove that my videos were 'legit' as you put it.

All I'm saying, is 'Innocent Till Proven Guilty', if the user hasn't said its a tv show or movie etc, then providing help should be a given and we shouldn't subject a user to such petty interrogation.

Gone are the days where one could freely ask for help and be helped.

zahmad
06-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I have read the forum rules, and yes my files are legit. Just to prove myself: its a home video from my family overseas!

vk_dre
06-04-2008, 03:55 PM
haha mate, just saw your desktop pics, pretty awesome, but yeah, seems like you're using mac or something thereabouts, I'm guessing most of the programs I recommended won't work for mac. I'm sure others can help you out :).

zahmad
06-04-2008, 03:58 PM
haha mate, just saw your desktop pics, pretty awesome, but yeah, seems like you're using mac or something thereabouts, I'm guessing most of the programs I recommended won't work for mac. I'm sure others can help you out :).

It's not a mac...windows xp!
Anyone else can help?

Speedy Gonzales
06-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Use one of the programs that was posted in the other thread

Metla
06-04-2008, 04:08 PM
use this http://www.dvdflick.net/

FREE.

rumpty
06-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I do what you want to do using Ulead Video Studio. AVI files off my camera are loaded into Video studio, edited anyway you wan't to, and then burned to a DVD to play on the lounge DVD player, also using Video Studio.

You have to buy Video Studio, that's the only snag, perhaps.

vk_dre
06-04-2008, 04:40 PM
It's not a mac...windows xp!
Anyone else can help?

Your 'Kuro Reaper' doesn't look like Windows XP...thats why I assumed it was Mac.. Just do as I suggested earlier...

password
06-04-2008, 04:56 PM
If you dont have a dvd burner then wound you have to make a VCD?

Speedy Gonzales
06-04-2008, 04:58 PM
If you dont have a dvd burner then wound you have to make a VCD?

Yup or SVCD

wainuitech
06-04-2008, 05:55 PM
I have read the forum rules, and yes my files are legit. Just to prove myself: its a home video from my family overseas!
Thats no problem then if its a legit movie that you or someone made, but with people downloading pirated content all the time, and sometimes they are quite open about it, if it were illegal, then all sorts of trouble could arise.

Mind you I have known some people to say that its a home movie and in fact what they have got is in fact exactly that - a pirated film.
Just to prove myself: its a home video from my family overseas Sorry but thats no proof - I could say I have a copy of movie (what ever) but does that mean its legit - Nope.
'Innocent Till Proven Guilty' I See it every single day on customers PC's, pirated movies, music and Software - and its amazing when you ask for the CD's to reinstall the software they dont have it, or the license codes are well known pirated ones, or there are Cracks in folders, movies downloading Via torrents. <<< Theres the Guilty.

zahmad
06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I See it every single day on customers PC's, pirated movies, music and Software - and its amazing when you ask for the CD's to reinstall the software they dont have it.

I agree with you on that wainuitech. Thanks anyways....I found the info i required. **THREAD CLOSED**

Paul Camford
06-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Wainuitech ,
I see you are a computer tech.
If someone wanted to pay you to fit a DVD burner would you fit it or would you put them under a bright light for 2 hours.
All computers now days come with DVD burners , surprisingly they get used.

Yes, there are forum rules, however do you have some some evidence that the poster is breaking the rules
And assumptions are not evidence
He does not have to prove anything to you or other members

vk_dre
06-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I See it every single day on customers PC's, pirated movies, music and Software...

Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't think they'd be too impressed to find you snooping through their multimedia and private files. Looking through their software in the program files I can understand...movies and music..more personal effects don't you think?

Mind you I have known some people to say that its a home movie and in fact what they have got is in fact exactly that - a pirated film. Sorry but thats no proof

I never said anything about proof or that everyone was a saint, If you re-read my post I simply stated that there are a lot of people, emphasis on a lot, who download files off the internet for other purposes, educational etc; and you can't be ignorant and assume that everyone is a pirate and may be lying when they say its a 'home movie' or say its some other file of theirs.

Everyone isn't the same. By assuming that anyone who gets any sort of multimedia off the net is a 'pirate'; or is partaking in illegal activities, or is blatantly lying, what does that show about you? In the end, does it really matter to you? Does it affect your well being?

Anyways, the point I was stressing:
he wanted help, we give help (unconditionally), unless he had otherwise stated something like 'I downloaded a tv episode' or 'I downloaded a movie and i want to burn it to a dvd disc'. Who are we to ensure that these files are his and not mp3s or movies illegally downloaded? Last time I checked neither the RIAA or the Movie Industry equivalent were paying me to keep a check on people on online forums, and I'm pretty sure they weren't paying you either.

So next time someone asks how to change the bit rate on his mp3s, or encode mp3s into wav, I'll stop him and say that before he asks for help he has to give me a link to his mp3s and prove to me beyond reasonable doubt that they are infact his property and not illegally downloaded, before I give him any help on his query. You tell me how you'd feel being on the receiving end of that question having minded your own business and looking for an answer to a legitimit problem.

Thats my 2cents worth, infact more like 50cents worth :P.

Anyways we are all grown adults, hopefully this doesn't turn into a flame match :P as usually happens these days.

This seems to have made my rather mundane Sunday a bit more sprightly :p

Case closed.

Cheers.

wainuitech
06-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Wainuitech ,
I see you are a computer tech.
If someone wanted to pay you to fit a DVD burner would you fit it or would you put them under a bright light for 2 hours.
All computers now days come with DVD burners , surprisingly they get used.

Yes, there are forum rules, however do you have some some evidence that the poster is breaking the rules
And assumptions are not evidence
He does not have to prove anything to you or other members yes I am A tech, and no its not illegal to install A DVD writer, There's no problem what so ever installing hardware or software( as long as the software is Legal)

What I saw in the original post was this
the avi file I have downloaded of the net Most of the movies and I'm meaning pirated are in the avi format.
I have seen this sort of question on many other forums and surprise they are not legit, and the moderators sometimes even close the threads before any one can answer.

As I said I see pirated movies from the internet every day on other peoples computers. I currently have 7 customers PC's in the workshop, ALL have either "downloaded Movies" or a pirated copy of Office 2003 Pro.

Thats why I asked for a link to where it came from, because family movies are generally downloaded from the net unless its some sort of storage.

Had the question have been worded something like " I have a family movie and want to put it on DVD" that right away would indicate the source.

A few months back there was a similar thread asking more or less the same question about converting AVI to DVD - and it wasn't until someone asked where it came from that it was discovered it was a illegal download.

Heres a question - IF someone ( and I'm not assuming the original poster) did download illegal content, and PC World allowed help on illegal content, how soon do you think it would be before PC world got into BIG trouble (legally) ?

There has even been several posts in the forums from members asking why they have had warnings from their ISP regarding downloading of certain content - go figure what the content is.

Personally I don't give a Sh*t If someone downloads Movies, its not me that if they get caught will be getting into trouble, But what I do care about is if people ask for advice and IF they are being dishonest, then get PC world into trouble.

Paul Camford
06-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Yep, I understand that Wainuitech.
As a member of other forums I have seen what happens when rules are not followed.
But at the same time unless we ban all discussion on DVD burners or downloading programs we have to accept that what people are doing is
legal unless it is show otherwise .
Then we stomp on them

I cant see how a PC World can get into any trouble unless the post was actively
discussing illegal activity

zahmad
06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I started a flame session :D?

wainuitech
06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Just to answer the comment made
Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't think they'd be too impressed to find you snooping through their multimedia and private files. Looking through their software in the program files I can understand...movies and music..more personal effects don't you think?
If I have to do a complete reinstall of a persons data, believe it or not MOST people don't have any backups.

So as for "snooping" if you call making sure I recover a persons data before giving them back a Their PC then yep guilty. When you look for any data they want back its kind of hard not to notice what it is.

Out of the the PC's that have the Illegal Office, all the PC's have the same product key, and a "mate installed it for them" - No actual Office CD, and its a known illegal office product key that if you looked on certain CD cover sites is shown, along with the actual download from some torrent sites.

I'm not risking my business just because some clown wants to install illegal software.If they want it back on they can install it - I WONT.

If some one is not bothered and doesn't have backups, they get really pissed if the person who is repairing their PC, simply wipes out years of data and doesn't give a hoot.

Since several here are assuming I'm just being ignorant, Ill tell you right now I have had several two firms I do regular work for ASK to look through their company data and save remotely so its off site, and I do sign non disclosure forms regarding this, and 2 other companies I do work for that require police clearance and non disclosure's to be signed before ANY work on the PC's is done.

So did I assume the original poster had illegal movies - NO - I asked if it was.

Simply pointing out, theres lots of illegal movie downloads, and PC world would be in trouble if their members helped, and got caught esp if the files in question were not legit. - Hence I simply asked.

Metla
06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Im just about to burn my latest home movie, Its called Die hard 4.0......:banana

wainuitech
06-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Im just about to burn my latest home movie, Its called Die hard 4.0......:banana :thumbs: Good on Ya, at least you qualify "Suitable for Mature Audiences 16 years and over" :D

Was looking at that in the video shop last night actually.

password
06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Im just about to burn my latest home movie, Its called Die hard 4.0......:banana

Now thats always a good Movie :drool :punk :thumbs:

plod
06-04-2008, 09:50 PM
:thumbs: Good on Ya, at least you qualify "Suitable for Mature Audiences 16 years and over" :D

Was looking at that in the video shop last night actually.

Metlas definitely over 16, but the mature bit could be argued.
As for the movie, bloody good

kahawai chaser
06-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Seems to be plenty of free easy to use video converter programs about, I think in part due to the presence of Youtube and ipods, and the open source software FFmpeg. A few years back the free converters involved a bit of a manual process using more than 1 program sometimes, and a few comprehensive tutorials...often found at video help com (http://www.videohelp.com/)...

As for illegal downloads, I have seen numerous members request everyday on the popular Yahoo Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/) (page rank of 8) where or how to download paid for software, and torrents, etc. Yet Yahoo Answers still moves along...