PDA

View Full Version : Attention 8800GT owners

qazwsxokmijn
03-04-2008, 09:14 PM
If you are an 8800GT owner, have you got any ideas how to remove the cooler's black shroud? I'm thinking if I can remove it and directly slap on an 80mm fan on the heatsink, it would cool the car down much better.

The only problem is that damn shroud! Searching around google only comes up with people saying they removed the shroud, but never really elaborating on how they did so.

Any ideas?

R2x1
03-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Microwave it for 40 minutes, the shroud will be on the wall behind the microwave in the form of condensed vapour.

Warning ! ! This will destroy the card, and the microwave and probably upset the smoke detector too. Do not try this at home, try it at some-one else's place with a 3rd party's card.

qazwsxokmijn
04-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Well in that case, have you got an 8800GT R2x1? :p

Bantu
04-04-2008, 06:29 AM
It WILL explode in the microwave fool.

In the instructions that come with it from memory is instructions for removal. I have them here somewhere if you can't find yours.
Mine is a Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT 512Mb

zcc
04-04-2008, 09:34 AM

In the instructions that come with it from memory is instructions for removal. I have them here somewhere if you can't find yours.

Maybe he was joking?:thanks

Bantu
04-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Maybe he was joking?:thanks
He probably was, but a fairly dumb thing to say.

There are a few younger more naive users in this forum dumb enough to take that seriously and find out the hard way.

Erayd
04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Did you notice the red warning text directly under his post? Any 'younger, more naive' user ignoring that deserves everything they get.

The_End_Of_Reality
04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Almost anything R2x1 says is not to be taken seriously... :D

beeswax34
04-04-2008, 01:08 PM

Whoa! Sarcasm detection classes needed!

I PITY the fool who call othes fool :lol:

Battleneter2
04-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I have a 8800GT with stock cooler, I considered doing the same thing, however went with a Zalman VF900 in the end.

With my Leadtek card I seem to remember the Shroud basically clipped on, as its just a reference cooler all the reference models should do the same.

Now the shroud appears to help channel air from the front of the card to the back (stopping the air escaping from the Heat sink). Removing it and attaching a fan could result in airflow issues, this is why I decided on a after market cooler.

Unless its a EVGA, "technically" doing either voids the warranty btw.

george12
05-04-2008, 05:23 PM
If you are an 8800GT owner, have you got any ideas how to remove the cooler's black shroud? I'm thinking if I can remove it and directly slap on an 80mm fan on the heatsink, it would cool the car down much better.

The only problem is that damn shroud! Searching around google only comes up with people saying they removed the shroud, but never really elaborating on how they did so.

Any ideas?

You shouldn't be running 8800GTs in your car Philip, if texting can make you crash what can gaming do?

qazwsxokmijn
05-04-2008, 06:00 PM
You shouldn't be running 8800GTs in your car Philip, if texting can make you crash what can gaming do?
Haven't you heard? The say playing FPS games can make you a better driver. :D

Hey Bantu, thanks for the offer. Would be great if you can scan it and email it to me. Would like to remove the black shroud and attach a fan directly on the heatsink. Seems like it does the same job as a Zalman something in one case.

motorbyclist
07-04-2008, 12:50 AM
pics and plans of what you intend to do please?

you might be doing something silly, and i'd hate to see a thread about your card cooking due to an avoidable mistake:o

plus it's good reference for the next guy to do the same;)

colt45joe
08-09-2008, 04:04 PM
i'm also trying to remove the shroud.

i want to do this: http://www.circuitremix.com/index.php?q=node/83&page=0%2C0

i tried all the little screwdrivers i have, but none of them fit.
can anybody recommend a good little screwdriver for removing the shroud?