PDA

View Full Version : Netguide web page

rumpty
01-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Just looking at www.netguide.co.nz and I was surprised to see that I needed to scroll horizontally to see it all, in spite of my monitor res being 1280 x 1024. What resolution do they think we are using out here?

Strangely (the above check was in IE. No, I don't usually use IE.) the page is even wider in Firefox?? Also the text just below the top banner overlaps itself in places in FF. Bit of a mess, really, and I am using the latest FF.

I seem to be coming across pages more often these days that don't display properly in Firefox. A pity. Thought things would be moving in the other direction.

Speedy Gonzales
01-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I came across the same thing in FF.

Under netguide village (I'm on 1440x900), the words are close together, like nearly kissing each other. Whereas in IE and Opera (which I switched to, got rid of FF).

Theyre spaced evenly.

Another thing I found annoying with FF, was when you click on links in here and other sites, it kept on bringing up sites with about:blank in them. And nothing else

sal
01-04-2008, 09:47 PM
In Firefox, at least -

Attached file: netguide.co.nz.png (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/netguide.co.nz.png) (18 KB)

rumpty
01-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Another thing I found annoying with FF, was when you click on links in here and other sites, it kept on bringing up sites with about:blank in them. And nothing else

I don't think I've noticed that yet?

Sal, excuse my ignorance. What is your .png telling us?

kahawai chaser
01-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Perhaps one of the challenges facing web designers is not always designing the site pages itself, but to ensure that it displays properly in various browsers and operating systems. Ideally tweaks need to be made for web code (css) to accommodate the various browsers, and perhaps some designers have difficulty (or lack of knowledge) trying to adapt to that...

robbyp
01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Perhaps one of the challenges facing web designers is not always designing the site pages itself, but to ensure that it displays properly in various browsers and operating systems. Ideally tweaks need to be made for web code (css) to accommodate the various browsers, and perhaps some designers have difficulty (or lack of knowledge) trying to adapt to that...

It comes down to resources. THe pc World website for example doesn't display correctly in opera, but it is worth them spending the resources to get it to work for the 1% that use opera.

sal
02-04-2008, 07:30 AM
sal, excuse my ignorance. What is your .png telling us?

The minimum required window/viewport width to see entire NetGuide page.

rumpty
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
The minimum required window/viewport width to see entire NetGuide page.

Well, I wonder why it doesn't fit within a 1280 wide screen resolution then.