PDA

View Full Version : Brother HL1040 printer problem

user
29-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Recently, this printer has started to play up. It will often print a couple of lines of garbage, then feed in another page and repeat unless I pull the paper source out.

Sometimes this is solved by rebooting the computer (the print job cannot always be deleted) and trying again, sometimes not.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers, and installing the drivers of an HP printer that it emulates. Worked the first print job but then same problems.

Now it looks like it is printing the page in enormous fonts. When I deleted the print job and retried, it printed fine. Sometimes it prints with no problems at all but more often than not, it will not print correctly.

Any suggestions please?

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2008, 08:08 AM
What version of windows?

FoxyMX
29-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Uninstall the printer entirely, reboot the computer with the printer unplugged then try installing again.

Remember to not plug the printer in until told to do so if the instructions say this.

wainuitech
29-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Also get Ccleaner from my sig and clean out the temp files on the Pc, If there is to much rubbish on the PC the printer can sometimes get things confused.

The printer drivers for the HL -1040 are built into windows.

pctek
29-03-2008, 03:24 PM
You wouldn't be using this printer on Vista would you? It sounds just like a driver problem, Vista may think it knows what to do but unless there is an actual real driver on Brothers Site then thats what its problem will be.

I had the same thing with a different printer.

user
29-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm using XP. I will try rebooting after uninstalling...

It may take a few days before I am sure of the result.

pctek
29-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Then uninstall it, download a new driver for your printer model, and XP 32 bit off Brothers site and reinstall using that.

user
29-03-2008, 07:14 PM
When you go to the Brother site and try to obtain the XP driver for the HL 1040, you end up with the info that it is built into XP. There is no separate download or updated driver...

wainuitech
29-03-2008, 07:45 PM
When you go to the Brother site and try to obtain the XP driver for the HL 1040, you end up with the info that it is built into XP. There is no separate download or updated driver...
yep ! said that in post 4.

One way you can also do it is to go to the printer, delete it, then click add printer / Local printer ( assuming it is not networked on another PC) Select your connection type LPT1 or USB - don't select automatically detect my printer, follow through the wizard, select brother HL -1040 and carry on, it will install the drivers again.

May pay to check in Add/remove programs if its there as well before reinstalling, to be honest I can't remember if XP loads it there if the drivers are pre-installed.

user
31-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Still no joy after deleting the printer, rebooting and reinstalling the drivers. Any futher suggestions?

wainuitech
31-03-2008, 08:55 PM
make sure the cables between the printer and the PC are in fully - unplug them - give them a good blow out to clear any dust/dirt, and make sure they are seated fully, and snug - check to see if there is any physical damage to the cable.

I Assume by the age of this printer its LPT1 and Not USB ??