PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD Drive question

Growler
28-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I have put in two DVD/CD drives into the old mans machine. They both come up in the properties that they are DVD/CD drives yet they both don't recognise CD's. One of the drives is brand new.
I have put in pleanty of drives into my machines in the past with no troubles what so ever.
Both are Pioneer drives. One is a DVR-112D (Brand new) and the other is a Pioneer 109 drive. Now I have this drive in my own machine and it recognises CD's and DVD's.
Any ideas I need to look at to get the drives to recognise CD's? (I have tried blank CD's and Audio CD's with no luck).

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2008, 03:40 PM
And what happens when you put a blank cd or audio cd in??

What program did u use, to test them with ?

jwil1
28-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Have you set the jumpers on the drive correctly? (ie master/slave/cable select)

Growler
28-03-2008, 08:22 PM
And what happens when you put a blank cd or audio cd in??

What program did u use, to test them with ?
Nothing. If I go to mycomputer/devices etc it doesn't show up in the screen that thier is a disc in there. If I click on the drive to open the CD it tells me there is no disc there. Yet when I put in a DVD (Blank or otherwise) it works fine.
I have the jumpers set correctly, and even swapped them around etc but that makes no difference.

Is there a program to test the drives?
All I have used so far is the default windows XP.

jwil1
28-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Does it show up in the BIOS?

Jen
29-03-2008, 08:30 AM
What software did you install to burn with? Nero?

What happens if leave a CD in and reboot the machine? Can it see the CD once Windows has reloaded?

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2008, 08:34 AM
See if this fixes it (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en)

It'll check the autorun info in the registry,if its not there or not working, it should fix it. Take any cd's/dvds out first

Growler
29-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Does it show up in the BIOS?
Yep.

What software did you install to burn with? Nero?

What happens if leave a CD in and reboot the machine? Can it see the CD once Windows has reloaded?
Yes - Nero 7 Premium.
I think I did reboot with the CD in the machine, but can't remember if it recognised it or not. I can try it again next tiome I see him.

See if this fixes it (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en)

It'll check the autorun info in the registry,if its not there or not working, it should fix it. Take any cd's/dvds out first
Cheers for that. I will try this over the weekend.

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Did you make sure a cd was selected in Nero??

And that its not on Image recorder, before you burned whatever?

Growler
29-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Did you make sure a cd was selected in Nero??

And that its not on Image recorder, before you burned whatever?
We haven't got as far as the burning stage. We turn on the machine, put a CD into the drive and it doesn't recognise a CD (Audio or blank). Put a DVD in there and all is sweet.
Now the machine has two CD/DVD drives. The one that came with the machine is fine. It's the new drive that doesn't recognise CD's.
Confused? - OK. I have three drives. One CD/DVD reader that works great. The other two are CD/DVD burners. It's the burners that don't recognise CD's. I have changed all of the drivers to be master/slave etc in all configurations but the burners are still not reading CD's.

robjg63
01-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Just a thought that occurs to me.
I seem to recall a couple of years ago that I bought a DVD burner and had problems with it recognising some disks and it just behaved quite oddly.
I checked around and found some comments people made about making sure you use an 80 wire IDE cable with newer faster peripherals.
I had used a 40 wire IDE ribbon cable that I had floating around.

Anyway swapping to the 80 wire IDE ribbon fixed it. While the peripherals and motherboard only have 40 pins, the 80 wire cables effectively have every second wire as a shield so it reduces the possibility of interference.

Also - check if the DVD burner maker have any firware updates available - its worth a look.