PDA

View Full Version : Installing graphics card

Capt.Hook
28-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi,
Do I have to do anything in the bios before installing my new graphics card.
Running fully patched XP.

Thanks
Hook

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Dont think so, the new card should take over.

Just install it in while its off, turn it back on then install the drivers for it

Capt.Hook
28-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for that Speedy,

Hook

wratterus
28-03-2008, 09:47 AM
You shouldn't have to - the one thing I'd do is to make sure you have no RAM allocated for graphics (or take it down to the minimum size), otherwise your throwing away RAM.

Turn the PC off, plug in the graphics card, plug in the power for it if it needs an external power source, plug the monitor in, boot up and install the latest drivers from either the Nvidia or ATI site. :cool:

Edit - :lol: pwned

drcspy
28-03-2008, 11:54 AM
if you are replacing an existing 'addon' card then no theres nothing you need to do however if it's goin in there to replace the onboard graphics then BEFORE you physically instll the card you'll need to go into the bios and tell it to run the CARD not the onboard.........

Thebananamonkey
28-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Edit - :lol: pwned

Not such a bad pwnage though. Speedy is above keyboards, he has telepathy as his I/O of choice... Certainly lives up to his name that's for sure.

wratterus
28-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Not such a bad pwnage though. Speedy is above keyboards, he has telepathy as his I/O of choice... Certainly lives up to his name that's for sure.

:lol: :lol: True that.

feersumendjinn
28-03-2008, 04:13 PM
if you are replacing an existing 'addon' card then no theres nothing you need to do ..............
Thats not quite correct, If you're replacing an older card with a new one, and you haven't updated the video driver (ever or even recently), you'll need to remove the old driver before installing the new (driver), you can do it after you fit the new card.

drcspy
28-03-2008, 09:55 PM
feersumendjinn
Quote:
""Originally Posted by drcspy View Post
if you are replacing an existing 'addon' card then no theres nothing you need to do ..............""

Thats not quite correct, If you're replacing an older card with a new one, and you haven't updated the video driver (ever or even recently), you'll need to remove the old driver before installing the new (driver), you can do it after you fit the new card.

I'm perfectly well aware of that

The original question was......

Capt.Hook Hi,
Do I have to do anything in the bios before installing my new graphics card.

I believe I DID answer their question......

Jen
28-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Let me add my 2c :p

If you have an existing graphic card and you are changing from nVidia to ATI for example, then make sure you do completely uninstall the current driver before installing the new card. Once physically installed, then install the new graphic driver.

feersumendjinn
28-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm perfectly well aware of that

The original question was......

I believe I DID answer their question......

Yeah sorry, guess you did (doesnt hurt to mention some more useful points tho (have had issues with video driver c**kups myself)).

Capt.Hook
29-03-2008, 09:43 AM
It's up and running thanks guys.Speedy was correct.
I only checked because when I installed a sound card last year, I had to go into the bios to disable the onboard one, I was thinking maybe it was the same for the grahics card.

Thanks
Hook

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Usually u have to disable sound which is different from video.

And most bioses I think dont have an option to disable onboard video anyway.

Well I've never seen one yet.

Just sound.