PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC Licensing

jwil1
27-03-2008, 11:01 PM
If I was to set a virtual PC in VPC running the same OS as the host machine (eg XP within XP), would I be able to legally use the same license to run both?

I have heard that the license for XP/Vista etc is tied to the hard drive, and as the virtual pc image file is running from that same hard drive as the host machine, technically I would be able to use the same license.

But on the other hand, VPC treats the virtual hard drive as a hard drive, not a file.

Can someone enlighten me on this?? It's keeping me awake!!

Chilling_Silence
27-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Technically AFAIK you're supposed to have a different license for that virtual machine, it has different "hardware" and things too.

Of course, if you setup two identical Virtual Machines you could use the same license and Microsoft would quite possibly never know from what I understand, but that would just be wrong ;)

Besides, install it on the Virtual Machine now, and come activation time it'll throw a wobbly coz your "Hardware has changed" sorta thing...

Depending on how long you're going to use the Virtual Machine, you could just leave it un-activated, or for a while Microsoft were giving out 180-day license keys (I got a couple of them at the time - meant the OS didnt have to be activated until after 180 days), they're pretty good :)

Nermal
28-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I read something about a recent licence change that allows you to run the same edition of Windows in a VM, on a host that's running a licensed copy. However, I never actually confirmed it so I recommend looking for the latest licence on MS' site.

Edit: I can't find anything about this on Microsoft's site.

Chilling_Silence
28-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I heard the same thing, but never saw any reliable sources, appears to be hear-say :(