PDA

View Full Version : MS Word - picture to edge of page

susann
26-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm trying to insert a picture (it's a circle company logo) on the top left corner of a Microsoft Word document, so it's hanging off the page slightly.

It looks great on the screen but in print preview and the actual printed document it has a margin around it (so it doesn't just flow off the page but stops short of the edges).

Does anyone know a way to get pictures to work nicely like this? I have tried playing around with margins, putting the picture in the header (and then back into the main part of the doc again) but no difference. I'm using Word 2007 but remember having the same problem in earlier versions of Word so it's prob the same for all.

Cheers for any help!
Susan

Tony
26-03-2008, 03:21 PM
If you are wanting to print this, you are always going to be bu****ed by the printer margins. Whatever you set up on the page, unless you have a printer that is capable of a full bleed (i.e. no margins) you are going to be out of luck. This is a physical limitation of the printer, and nothing to do with Word. If you do have a fancy enough printer, it should be all do-able by setting all the margins correctly.

susann
26-03-2008, 04:09 PM
ah darn, I don't think our printers are that super-doopa. Thanks Tony, I guess I'll just put up with the margins then :-(

Tony
26-03-2008, 04:19 PM
ah darn, I don't think our printers are that super-doopa.I think there are some of the nicer ink-jets that can do a full bleed, but I don't know which they are.

kahawai chaser
26-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Maybe insert the picture in a table with invisible borders near the page edge - and perhaps drag the L/H or R/H border off the page. I think there is a bit of a padding between the table edges and the picture to allow a bit of space. It's what I do in front page for inserting pictures/banners...

Tony
26-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Maybe insert the picture in a table with invisible borders near the page edge - and perhaps drag the L/H or R/H border off the page. I think there is a bit of a padding between the table edges and the picture to allow a bit of space. It's what I do in front page for inserting pictures/banners...That still won't get over the physical problem of the printer margins. We are talking about a printable document, not a web page. What printer are you using?

zcc
26-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Read this... http://wordtips.vitalnews.com/Pages/T000838_Printing_Close_to_the_Edge.html

You could try and fiddle the page size to be slightly bigger than A4 and get the printer to agree, and then line up as close as possible.
Never done this, but think there is a custom page size available for most printers.
Use File>page Setup... and then select custom for the page size and see what you can add.
If the custom page size does not appear then this option is no good for your needs.

kahawai chaser
26-03-2008, 06:01 PM
As I see it tables or borders might be a work around (My ex manager use to do it). I presumed that the margins in word were set (i.e. adjusted manually) to the extreme edge. I think with tables, and a inserted picture at left justification, you can fine drag a border of the page edge (in Word), as there is a gap between the table border and picture - bit of trial and error to get the picture printed flush (probably with a fine gap).

If the printer cannot achieve the desired output, you can download printer fonts (my manager use to do this - don't know where) to help achieve printing at the extreme edge. The printer we used was a expensive company cannon ink jet..can't recall the model number.

zcc
26-03-2008, 06:14 PM
When using tables be aware that the table itself has limits on how close things can be to the table border.
Go thru the table properties closely to remove this, I think the default is .19cm.
Also check this http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag

Tony
26-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Printer margins, people!

It doesn't matter how clever you are with your layout, there is a physical limitation in most printers that will not allow printing within some distance from the paper edge. On my laserjet for instance, the margin is 6.35mm (1/4 in), and you cannot print in this area.

You can test this by creating a page with a black border (say) 25mm wide, that extends up to the page edge. Then print it. Whatever you do, you will have a white strip around the page.

Or am I talking rubbish? Will someone please comment?

vitalstatistix
26-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Printer margins, people!

It doesn't matter how clever you are with your layout, there is a physical limitation in most printers that will not allow printing within some distance from the paper edge. On my laserjet for instance, the margin is 6.35mm (1/4 in), and you cannot print in this area.

You can test this by creating a page with a black border (say) 25mm wide, that extends up to the page edge. Then print it. Whatever you do, you will have a white strip around the page.

Or am I talking rubbish? Will someone please comment?

You're spot on Tony.
The other way would be to set the file up as a an A4 file and send a PDF off to a local print shop and let them crop - they would be printing 2 up on over size A3 which would allow you to set your A4 document up with a 2mm
bleed. Set the file up in either MS Publisher :yuck:, Quark :) or InDesign :drool and export as a print ready PDF.

paper print sizes explained here
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

Tony
26-03-2008, 10:04 PM
The other way would be to set the file up as a an A4 file and send a PDF off to a local print shop and let them crop - they would be printing 2 up on over size A3 which would allow you to set your A4 document up with a 2mm
bleed. Set the file up in either MS Publisher :yuck:, Quark :) or InDesign :drool and export as a print ready PDF.Yes, that would work, but I got the impression from the OP that we were looking at an office printer.

vitalstatistix
26-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Yes, that would work, but I got the impression from the OP that we were looking at an office printer.

I believe that is correct Tony - however unless the poster only wants one or two copies, sending the file to a digital printer would be a better idea in the long run.

vitalstatistix
26-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Pardon the double post. The other option would be to print an A4 page with bleed on an A3 office printer although that would mean a lot of wasted paper when giloutining.

Tony
26-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Pardon the double post. The other option would be to print an A4 page with bleed on an A3 office printer although that would mean a lot of wasted paper when giloutining.:thumbs:

Bantu
27-03-2008, 07:56 AM
I have an Epson R800 and a R2400 printer and with word i can set it to 0 margins, place the image in a text box with 0 margins and hang it off the edge of the page. It looks correct in normal view but in print preview it is on the edge on the left but down about 1 cm at the top even with the printer set to borderless.

I can put the image into Pagemaker or coreldraw and print it on or over the edge it has no limitation when I print borderless so all I can assume is that it is a problem with Word even if you DO have a printer that can print borderless.

I often use borderless on my printers with both pagemaker and corel to bleed to the edges, but hardly ever use word except for some text only stuff.

Tony
27-03-2008, 08:11 AM
I have an Epson R800 and a R2400 printer and with word i can set it to 0 margins, place the image in a text box with 0 margins and hang it off the edge of the page. ....
I often use borderless on my printers with both pagemaker and corel to bleed to the edges, but hardly ever use word except for some text only stuff.That rather supports my contention that borderless printing is a feature of higher-spec gear, I think?

Bantu
27-03-2008, 09:18 AM
It can probably be done in MS Publisher, but once again you will need a printer that can print borderless. Alternatively use larger paper and trim, maybe Legal Size would be suitable.

susann
27-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the posts guys, unfortunately I wanted to be able to set it so we could print lots of copies of this document (which is a form) a various times - so using the giloutine is out of the question as is taking it to a shop. Ah well, the logo will just look a little strange but not a major as it's only an internal doc.

Cheers
Susan

Tony
27-03-2008, 11:51 AM
paper print sizes explained here
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.htmlThat is a really interesting document (in a geeky sort of way).