PDA

View Full Version : Error in System Registry

20-04-2001, 10:17 PM
I think my machine has got a virus. Everytime it started, Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry, then the Windows restarted and restored an old copy of system registry.

I reformatted c: drive and re-installed WIN98, but the problem still exists that I can't install any other programme or hardware.

How can I fix it?

23-04-2001, 05:04 AM
Try a low level format then a high level format,low level format takes about 45-60min. per gigabyte, warning once started do not stop-pause or interrupt the process or permanent damage will result to your harddrive. Phoebe

24-04-2001, 06:12 AM
OK,can you get your hands on a copy of microsoft's Regclean this is a free progam,basic but it will soon tell you what the problem is one way or another. Phoebe

24-04-2001, 06:22 AM
PS, run it from the floppy drive. Phoebe

24-04-2001, 02:45 PM
Win98 has a utility, scanreg, which can be used to fix and restore corrupted registry files.

Boot to the DOS prompt using your boot disk or by pressing F8 when the 'Starting Windows..' message appears at startup.

Type scanreg /fix to scan the registry for any errors. To resore a previous registry backup type scanreg /restore, this is unlikely to work since your problem still exists after reinstalling.

You can also use this program to optimise the registry by typing type scanreg /opt. Typing scanreg without any prefix will bring up a menu with a list of options.