PDA

View Full Version : hd partition unavailable

marty65
21-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I have a w\d 120 gig h\d with a partition i cannot access.I would like to erase it.how can i find out if there is any thing on it.

pctek
21-03-2008, 03:13 PM
You can't access it theres nothing on it. Reformat it in Disk Management.

Mike
21-03-2008, 03:41 PM
You can't access it theres nothing on it. Reformat it in Disk Management.woah pctek! back up a bit - just because he can't access it doesn't mean there's nothing on it.

Right-click on My Computer and click "Manage" - when the window opens click Disk management and see if you can assign a drive letter to the rogue partition and then try accessing it.

Mike.

marty65
21-03-2008, 04:12 PM
thanks pctech I did that and there are 3 partitions-all empty.so i can erase them.

pctek
21-03-2008, 04:31 PM
woah pctek! back up a bit - just because he can't access it doesn't mean there's nothing on it.

Does.
You can still access those hidden recovery partitions without a drive letter.

Mike
21-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Does.
You can still access those hidden recovery partitions without a drive letter.sure you may still be able to access those hidden partitions, but the original poster didn't say it was a recovery partition or that he knew other ways to access drives without a drive letter... just because someone can't access a partition doesn't necessarily mean that there is nothing on the partition or that its a hidden drive or whatever... I'm just saying it could be a dangerous thing to assume without asking more information after a brief initial question. I've seen inaccessible partitions for whatever reason that have had plenty of (sometimes important) data on, so I'm hesitant to ever say there's nothing on it without a bit more probing :)

That all said, it seems in this case you were right... or lucky ;)

Mike.