PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP1 & Missing Apps

Sherman
21-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi, I have a very perplexing issue, that I'm not sure how it quite came about.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium installed on my laptop, and pre-SP1 was working perfectly.
Somehow though, I think during the preinstallation stage when I was getting the system so that SP1 would be offered in windows update (updating my intel graphics driver mainly), somehow I have lost a whole lot of core windows apps. I'm talking about the likes of Media Center (although I can still run it by running ehshell.exe from the C:\Windows\ehome dir), Windows Movie Maker, DVD maker, and all those other programs that are installed. It is though they were never there, nothing in the start menu or program files directory. Doing a search for these in the search bar on the start menu reveals nothing...

I think the cause lies with the intel driver installation, as the first time I tried to install it, twas a major botch job and had to reinstall the driver (which went fine the second time round...). I got the driver direct from the intel web site, and have never had any problem with their reference drivers until this time round.

(my laptop's graphics is the oh-so-(un)powerful 950GMA...)

Has anyone ever come across this before? And does anyone know if there's a way of reinstalling/enabling these programs again?

Much thanks.

pctek
21-03-2008, 04:15 PM
No big loss. Plenty of 3rd party apps do the job much better.

You could do a system restore.

Mike
21-03-2008, 04:44 PM
You should be able to reinstall them by using "Programs" whatever it is from Control Panel - I think its from there you can select Windows apps to install/remove? I can't remember if that's how you do it in Vista :)

Mike.

pctek
21-03-2008, 05:33 PM
You should be able to reinstall them by using "Programs" whatever it is from Control Panel - I think its from there you can select Windows apps to install/remove? I can't remember if that's how you do it in Vista :)

Mike.

Its not. Vista allows you to "turn off" things, not actually uninstall them.

I would say they are still there, in the system folder, he's just lost the reference to them.

Mike
21-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Its not. Vista allows you to "turn off" things, not actually uninstall them.ah thats right - thanks for the correction :)

Mike.