PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Help On Wireless Network Set-Up

quiksilver_gunit
21-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi I have just ordered my new Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop from the Dell website cant wait for it to arrive

Now I am going to set up a wireless network for around the house I already have a PC with standard broadband. So I will need to get a Wireless Adaptor and wireless router

I have had a look around and seen this package on trademe auction number146455814 its a Belkin Wireless Network Starter Kit ($124.95 Delivered)

Heres what specs it has :
Allows you to share your high-speed Internet connection without networking cables
* Sets up easily with the Belkin Easy Install Wizard
* Uses the 802.11g wireless networking standard to provide up to 54Mbps networking speed, the fastest wireless networking available for home or office
* Uses 802.11g Xpress technology to increase your networking speed up to 10 times faster than 802.11b Wi-Fi networks
* Offers interoperability with all 802.11b 2.4GHz wireless devices
* Features advanced security modes including WPA and 64-/128-bit WEP encryption
* Uses a NAT and SPI firewall to protect network from outside intrusions by hackers

Package Includes
* Wireless 802.11g Router
* Wireless 802.11g USB Network Adapter
* Installation CD
* Zone Labs Software CD
* Power Supply
* RJ45 Ethernet Cable
* User Manual (on CD)
* Quick Installation Guide

Do you think this will be suitable for a dell laptop and PC to share will it like slow down the other computer and what kind of range will it handle is this like a cheap and nasty package or should I got for something like A D-Link wireless broadband router and wireless usb adaptor for $179.99 At Noel Leeming I need to have a average connection like i have at the moment i dont want it to be snail speed with this wireless option

Cheers

William

Any Comments Or Suggestions Will Be Appreciated Thanks For Your help !!! William

stormdragon
21-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Welcome to PressF1

Is there any reason why the desktop couldn't remain plugged in via ethernet (cable)?

quiksilver_gunit
21-03-2008, 01:27 PM
The desktop needs and adaptor I think to connect to the network as it does not have a PCMIA card inside the box so thats why I will get a network adaptor

stormdragon
21-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Is it currently connected to the net via a router or an internal modem?

quiksilver_gunit
21-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Its Connected Via An ADSL Modem . The Pc is not on wireless just normal broadband

stormdragon
21-03-2008, 01:37 PM
The wireless you are looking at is simply a wireless router that will plug into your existing broadband router. Even when you have wireless set-up you don't need to run all the computers via wireless the desktop can remain plugged in via ethernet to a port on one of the routers eliminating the need for the extra card.

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2008, 01:42 PM
It'll probably be better if you replace the modem you have now, with a wireless modem / router (modem / router / all in 1).

It makes things so much easier to configure.

Instead of buying a separate wireless router, trying to connect it to an existing modem, then trying to figure out how to connect those 2.

Then trying to figure out how to configure the wireless.

quiksilver_gunit
21-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks so much mate thats solves all my problems and worries so now i dont need to get all the other equipment just a really good router thanks again I really apperciate it