PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring Usage

PinoyKiw
21-03-2008, 09:02 AM
I can log into my ISP and check the total amount of BroadBand use but what I need is to try and monitor the amount of data being used by one specific computer on the network.

We have a student staying with us, he has access to the net via our router. It is cable connected between computers, not wireless.

Lately the amount of data used in a day with no other computers on line is 800mb+, he says he is only type chatting, no webcam, no online gaming, no downloading or streaming of video or music etc.

We have a large data cap but we have warned him, if he is going to through that amount of data, he can pay towards the datacap. Only fair.

He insists it is not his computer, well, what other computer is going through that amount of data in a day when his is the only one online and the other 2 are turned off.

So, is there any way to monitor specifically the amount of data he is using, without him being aware that he is being monitored other than checking the total data at random on the ISP. I monitored his use from work last night and it was increasing by about 50 to 70 per 30 minutes. No one else at home other than him.

Of course it could be a virus or spam bot on his laptop as well. Push the subject and it is me not speak english me not understand.

We have pulled the cable to his laptop from the router a short time ago and data use dropped off to just kb's.

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Sounds like he's lying (or he's using a P2P program or something).

Or he's got a trojan or something.

What ISP are you with?? You could use Xnets if youre with Xnet.

PinoyKiw
21-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Agree with you Speedy, probably p2p or Virus/Trojan. He is not going to admit anything as that is going to cost him each week and he has very deep pockets and very short arms.

In the meantime, the internet is "down".:lol:

Sweep
21-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Agree with you Speedy, probably p2p or Virus/Trojan. He is not going to admit anything as that is going to cost him each week and he has very deep pockets and very short arms.

In the meantime, the internet is "down".:lol:

You appear to know what you are doing. Do you want proof or what?
Maybe install a key logger on his laptop if you have access!

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Post a HJT log (from his PC), we'll soon find out.

PinoyKiw
21-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Post a HJT log (from his PC), we'll soon find out.

Wish I could access his laptop but he takes it to school with him as well and when out on the town, he locks the laptop in his laptop carry bag which has a padlock on it.

Only saw the screen once, heaps of icons in the system tray, half of them I have no idea what they are but didn't see anything that resembled icons from programs such as AVG, Nortons, ZA etc.

2 more months and he leaves for home anyway so if he wants internet access he will either have to come to the party or go cold turkey.

The only thing I know about his laptop is it is a MAC.

Sweep
21-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Wish I could access his laptop but he takes it to school with him as well and when out on the town, he locks the laptop in his laptop carry bag which has a padlock on it.

Only saw the screen once, heaps of icons in the system tray, half of them I have no idea what they are but didn't see anything that resembled icons from programs such as AVG, Nortons, ZA etc.

2 more months and he leaves for home anyway so if he wants internet access he will either have to come to the party or go cold turkey.

The only thing I know about his laptop is it is a MAC.

Tell him to use Internet Cafes or pay you or use school networks.

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2008, 12:18 PM
You probably wont see any Windows programs on it then, if its a Mac.

Altho there are programs for Mac and Windows, but I dont think HJT, Nortons, AVG, ZA work on a Mac