PDA

View Full Version : Computer suddenly lost video

Jen
19-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi all,

Running out of ideas here so I thought I would get additional opinions on this.

I have a PC here (belongs to the folks) that suddenly lost the monitor display. It apparently just went black when it was being used.

It is a Abit SL-30T motherboard with onboard graphics being used with a 4MB AIMM video memory in the AGP slot.

It apparently starts up fine with power being received by the motherboard (fans and power-on LED) and does not beep.

What I have done so far:
The monitor works fine on another PC
I've removed the AIMM card and put in a AGP graphic card
I've reset the BIOS to defaults using the CCMOS jumper

None of the above results in a video signal. The monitor stays blank (orange power light) and there is no "check signal cable" message displayed.

I then pulled out all the RAM and booted it up and it still doesn't beep. Adding a stick of known good RAM to the computer makes no difference either.

So yeah, um help?

Cheers. :)

SPARTAN 860
19-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Boot into safe mode, if you have video, you have a driver problem. Get the latest ones from the official sites, nVidia, or ATI/AMD. (Depending on you Graphics card)

If you have no video during the bios setup... then thats a hardware problem...

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I would check the the video connection on the mobo.

To see if any pins are bent maybe?

Have you tried another monitor, on this PC??

To see if the videocard is stuffed?

Jen
19-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Boot into safe mode, if you have video, you have a driver problem. Get the latest ones from the official sites, nVidia, or ATI/AMD. (Depending on you Graphics card)

If you have no video during the bios setup... then thats a hardware problem...Thanks, but I have no video output at all, so I can't even see what is happening.

I should add I did leave it for a while to see if the Windows startup sound appeared to indicate Windows still boots up, but there was nothing.

Jen
19-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I would check the the video connection on the mobo

To see if any pins are bent maybe?.I've tried a AGP card to by-pass the onboard graphics.

Have you tried another monitor, on this PC??Yes, it made no difference.

To see if the videocard is stuffed?My original assumption was that the onboard graphics was poked, but adding a AGP card made no difference.

It is a bit hard to detect hardware faults when the machine doesn't even beep with no RAM. :rolleyes:

wratterus
19-03-2008, 10:28 PM
No post, no beep, no display - almost certainly your motherboard is buggered.

:crying

Try unplugging absolutely everything that isn't necessary, PCI cards, IDE cables, etc etc.

Did it do 'the POST beep' before it stopped working? If it did, that will verify that the speaker is actually working.

Speedy Gonzales
19-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Is it a socket 370 mobo?

With dual CPU?

Jen
19-03-2008, 10:32 PM
It is a single socket 370 CPU.

Jen
19-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Try unplugging absolutely everything that isn't necessary, PCI cards, IDE cables, etc etc.

Did it do 'the POST beep' before it stopped working? If it did, that will verify that the speaker is actually working.To tell the truth, I can't remember hearing it do the POST beep when it was working. That could be because I just didn't pay attention (get so used to the POST beep that I ignore it) or maybe the system speakers are dead. Good point. :)

I will pull everything else out tomorrow and see what happens.

Sweep
19-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Jen,

Have you swapped out the psu?

Given the problems and your very good answers I would check that next.

It may be a dead motherboard due to a lightning strike or capacitators.

I can't give you a definitive answer but I believe it is something for you to look at.

HTH.

CYaBro
19-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Tried another power supply?

Also remove all the cables to the front LEDs except the power switch of cause :D
I have had one or two instances where the reset button was faulty and it was stuck in so was doing a reset on the mobo all the time until it was disconnected.

Agent_24
20-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I have 2 soltek boards (skt370) that currently do this.

Power on but NOTHING happens and both of them have leaky capacitors in the VRM.

I haven't replaced the caps yet so not sure if this actually the problem, but checked everything (including taking BIOS chip out and reprogramming it) and still didn't work

remember, leaky caps are always bad, but bad caps don't always leak.

Jen
20-03-2008, 06:31 PM
I have connected up another system speaker - still no beep
I have unplugged everything - still no beep or video
I have swapped the PSU - ditto
I have unplugged all the front header plugs except power-on - nada thing
None of the capacitors look dodgy.

Well, I think it is a goner. :crying

Thanks everyone anyway. :)

Agent_24
20-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Maybe CPU is faulty?

or perhaps the card/ram slots are dirty?

Have you tried _completely_ disassembling the entire thing, and rebuilding?

Worked for me on a PC once that would turn on but do absolutely nothing