PDA

View Full Version : What could have caused email sent from my account (tradefaithfully.com)

utopian201
18-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi
Today my friend told me that I had sent spam from my hotmail account. I asked her to forward the message I had apparently sent. The message contains:

Welcome to our company site:www.tradefaithfully.com

We are the large electronic products sale company that locates USA. Our vision is to grow and expand the market share with our customers.We treasure a long term business partnership. quantity and prestige are first Our products are selling: USA,UK,Germany,Italy,Sweden,France,Canada,Australi a,South American, and so on.
Products the best selling:
(bla bla bla)

I, of course, did no such thing. The worrying thing is that my hotmail account had sent it to everyone in my hotmail addressbook. What could have caused this? I scanned my computer with AVG and it found nothing. But because the hotmail contacts are not stored on my computer, it is unlikely that it could have been a virus/worm/trojan on my computer right?

The reason I suspect this is because my brother's email address got affected, and sent the same message to everyone on his contact list too (including me). Except the thing is, he doesn't have a computer, and only checks his email on public(library) or work computers.

I've done a google search, but information is pretty thin. Does anyone know what else I should check on my computer? I run a firewall and checked with adaware 2007, and it also found nothing.

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Did you scan with an AV program ?

TGoddard
18-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Change your hotmail account password. Anybody can send email purporting to be from any address but the access to contacts may indicate that they actually have access to your account.