PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of ITunes Data

willbry
18-03-2008, 07:12 AM
I think this might have been asked before. If so my apologies but I can't find it in FAQ's.
I am retiring my old P.C. & I want to transfer my Itunes library to a new laptop I'm getting
. I am petrified that I may lose my whole library in the process as I did once before when it was relatively small but now I have 25 gigs of music and I want to ensure my Ipod will recognise it in the new PC when I come to sync it for the first time. I would be grateful for very specific instructions for a slow learner on how to make the transfer. I am told I just can't copy and paste the library from the old into the new PC nor download a new version of Itunes into the new PC. [Ihope you're reading this Speedy. You seem to be an Ipod solution expert]
Thanks Willbry

Safari
18-03-2008, 07:23 AM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

wainuitech
18-03-2008, 07:33 AM
I am told I just can't copy and paste the library from the old into the new PC nor download a new version of Itunes into the new PC. Says who ???

I do it all the time on customers PC - exactly like you have described.

Simply load Itunes on the new install/PC, copy /paste --- have the old drive as a slave and copy paste the whole library from the old Itunes folder to the new.

Itunes usually will pick it up right away- if it doesn't then go into file/Add folder to Library and navigate to the new Itunes Folder which is in My Music and select it and bingo - in they come.

paulw
18-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I just backed Itunes up to a DVD via it's back up feature then restored it back to the new PC..

willbry
18-03-2008, 01:38 PM
thanks a lot Safari, Wainuitech and paulw. Very helpful. Much obliged
willbry

wainuitech
18-03-2008, 06:07 PM
The only thing you may have to do is if its purchased music from Itunes it will ask for an authorization to use - you can have the music you purchase on up to 5 PC's at a time.

Simply use the email address & Password you created when making the account.

I have just transfered 30 odd albums I have purchased to another workshop PC and had to do the above - playing fine. :thumbs: