PDA

View Full Version : Stop iTunes opening by itself???

springa886
16-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey guys, can anyone tell me how to stop iTunes opening when i connect my motorola phone to my PC?? It's not iTunes capable (or an iTunes phone,whatever that is!!) and I can't find any option in either iTunes or Motorola Phone Tools to stop it from opening.

Driftwood
16-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Disable it in the start list.

springa886
16-03-2008, 04:29 PM
What start list?
The problem is'nt that iTunes opens when i start my PC, it opens when i plug my phone into my PC.

FoxyMX
16-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Disable it in the start list.

To clarify further, go to Start > Run > msconfig > Startup and remove the tick from the iTunes entry.

springa886
16-03-2008, 04:32 PM
will that fix my problem or just stop iTunes opening when i turn my PC on?

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2008, 04:36 PM
BUT, have you got an Ipod as well?

And is it plugged into a USB port / dock?

If it is unplug it or disable the option in Itunes, so Itunes wont open, once you plug an Ipod in.

Itunes doesnt open by default, when you boot a computer.

plod
16-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey guys, can anyone tell me how to stop iTunes opening when i connect my motorola phone to my PC?? It's not iTunes capable (or an iTunes phone,whatever that is!!) and I can't find any option in either iTunes or Motorola Phone Tools to stop it from opening.

what sort of motorola is it?

springa886
16-03-2008, 05:12 PM
My phone is a Motorola RAZR V3x. It happens both when my iPods are plugged in and when they aren't. The option on both of my iPods to open iTunes is disabled.

plod
16-03-2008, 05:29 PM
My phone is a Motorola RAZR V3x. It happens both when my iPods are plugged in and when they aren't. The option on both of my iPods to open iTunes is disabled.

I thought it might have been the V3i which does support itunes.

vitalstatistix
16-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Click on the iPod when it is connected to your PC> Summary tab>Uncheck "open iTunes when iPod connected" > Apply.

Simple really.

springa886
16-03-2008, 07:30 PM
As I said earlier...
The option on both of my iPods to open iTunes is disabled.

If you can read english, it's simple.... REALLY!

plod
16-03-2008, 07:58 PM
As I said earlier...

If you can read english, it's simple.... REALLY!

you have to excuse him, sometimes he goes:banana

bevy121
16-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I dont use itunes myself etc, but I believe this may be a way to do it :

Connect your phone to the computer, and then look in iTunes and on the left there is a "Source" list. (your phone must be connected before you will see it in the Source list...)

Hopefully, your phone will be there - click on that to select it, then the little "display ipod options" button on the bottem right of the itunes window.

Then unselect iTunes to open automaticly when this phone is attatched.

Do it for any motorolla phones that appear in the list...

Hope that helps, sorry if I have it incorrect - as I say, I dont use the software myself

springa886
16-03-2008, 08:20 PM
negative bevy, "Source" list isn't there. Sounded good though :)

vitalstatistix
16-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Did you get something like this
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_hook_my_motorola_slvr_up_to_itunes.html
that popped up when you first connected your motorola to your PC?

bevy121
16-03-2008, 08:39 PM
What about a "Phone" tab - does one appear in itunes when you connect the phone to the pc?

Between the "General, iPod, and Podcasts" tabs?

vitalstatistix
16-03-2008, 08:47 PM
What about a "Phone" tab - does one appear in itunes when you connect the phone to the pc?

Between the "General, iPod, and Podcasts" tabs?

Although I don't have one it should do, there is an iPhone tab in iTunes.

springa886
16-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Um, no I didn't get the "Mobile Phone Setup Assistant" when I first connected my phone and I don't have a "Phone" tab in my iTunes (It has been disabled for sometime now).

bevy121
16-03-2008, 08:55 PM
double post somehow :)

bevy121
16-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Although I don't have one it should do, there is an iPhone tab in iTunes.

Yes, you would have one - if you connected a phone.

The iphone tab is only visable when a phone is connected (to the pc), and it's settings when you click to edit it only affect the phone that is connected at the time.
A different phone that is then connected will not be affected by those settings.

At least, thats what I understand it to be.

@Springa

Is there no phone tab even if you plug the phone into the pc and then run iTunes?

vitalstatistix
16-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Um, no I didn't get the "Mobile Phone Setup Assistant" when I first connected my phone and I don't have a "Phone" tab in my iTunes (It has been disabled for sometime now).

Pardon me for stating the obvious but you are going to have to perform your best Sherlock Holmes impersonation and search through the system - since none of the obvious fixes mentioned seem to provide a cure.

vitalstatistix
16-03-2008, 09:08 PM

have you checked for and removed iTunes from EVERY launch and startup and launch when phone is connected to computer option on your computer?

springa886
16-03-2008, 09:46 PM
have you checked for and removed iTunes from EVERY launch and startup and launch when phone is connected to computer option on your computer?

Woah dude..... I don't understand that man, what do u mean?

bevy121
16-03-2008, 10:10 PM
So - 'cause I'm still unsure what was answered and just want to check - you don't have any 'phone' tab appear in iTunes when your phone is connected to your comp like this (http://www.askdavetaylor.com/0-blog-pics/moto-slvr-itunes-preferences.png)?

sal
16-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Just to clear up any confusion, iTunes is device specific so if one iPod is set not to open iTunes when it is connected, it will only be set so for that specific device. It sounds like the OP already knows this but can't set this setting because the Motorola v3x only opens iTunes and isn't actually visible as a device within iTunes.

If you prefer not to have ANY device launch iTunes upon connection, try disabling the service "iPod Service".

Press Windows key + r to launch the Run dialog
Type services.msc and press Enter
Right-click the service and select Properties
Select Disabled from the Startup type drop-down.
Stop the service by clicking the Stop button then try connecting your mobile while iTunes isn't running.

If this doesn't work, try disabling the service "Apple Mobile Device".

vitalstatistix
16-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Woah dude..... I don't understand that man, what do u mean?

You have got iTunes checked to startup when your phone is connected to your PC - only you don't seem to be able to find where and we have covered ALL the obvious places where it is normally checked which is in the iTunes Phone tab (where it is normally checked) and in the config startup menu - and iTunes is a pretty simple app to use. So that means you have missed something.

Like this.

you don't have any 'phone' tab appear in iTunes when your phone is connected to your comp like this?

bevy121
16-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks sal - thats what I was trying to conclude...
But being not iFamiliar with the software was "taking the long road there"! to make sure :)

beeswax34
16-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Get rid of iTunes.

Simple really.

springa886
17-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think that what Sal said sounds like my situation so i'll give that a go and let ya know what happens. Oh and Beeswax.... If Sal's idea doesn't work, thats exactly what i'll be doing!!! I had a trial version of a program that allowed Windows Media Player to see my iPod and fill it with music so i'll look into the full version of that program (Not sure what it was called!!).

P.S. I just disabled the iPod service and voila!!! No more auto-openning iTunes!! Cheers Sal!

bevy121
17-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Winamp now does songs on ipod I think

vitalstatistix
17-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think that what Sal said sounds like my situation so i'll give that a go and let ya know what happens. Oh and Beeswax.... If Sal's idea doesn't work, thats exactly what i'll be doing!!! I had a trial version of a program that allowed Windows Media Player to see my iPod and fill it with music so i'll look into the full version of that program (Not sure what it was called!!).

P.S. I just disabled the iPod service and voila!!! No more auto-openning iTunes!! Cheers Sal!

Why not just have it checked in iTunes just for the iPod rather than your phone and not have it hidden somewhere in your system - I do that with my iPod although I tend to have iTunes open 24/7 anyway.