PDA

View Full Version : Ad-Aware SE Personal

IanS
15-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I have been using Ad-Aware SE Personal for some years. It has worked well and has always updated without any problems. For several weeks I have been getting "Your definitions are 79 days old....." When I try to update I get "No updated components available"
Does anyone know what is going on with Ad-Aware? Perhaps I should wipe it and reload??

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Install the latest version, if youre not using version 2007

nofam
15-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Ian - I was a long time user of Adaware until last year - the latest versions seem to be a lot more resource hungry, and a lot less effective at detecting & removing spyware.

I'd suggest you look at Spyware Doctor by PC Tools

http://www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor-Starter-Edition/3000-8022_4-10704508.html?tag=lst-0-6

Driftwood
15-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd agree with that, I've gone to Spyware Doctor & Super Antispyware.
They seem to run happily together.

zahmad
15-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I would disagree....you can still get definition file updates through download.com!

IanS
15-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for replies. I have deleted Ad-Aware and loaded Spyware Doctor. It only found a few low level problems so I hope the doctor continues to do a good job!
IanS

wratterus
15-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I would disagree....you can still get definition file updates through download.com!

You can, but you shouldn't have to. As nofam said, him and many of us have found it wasn't doing the job it used to. Other much better apps have been suggested. ;)

humi
15-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Adaware SE isn't any longer supported by lavasoft...

Adaware 2007 is .... ähm... :(
i woult prefer installing spybot S&D

Grimy
16-03-2008, 08:06 PM
I have also changed from Ad-Aware SE to Spyware Doctor. I had been updating Ad Aware from Download.com, but decided I couldn't be bothered any more. The one reservation I have with Spyware Doctor is it seems to have slowed the PC down, even with switching off the real-time monitoring.

curly
17-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi Nofam, like several others I dumped Adaware V7 and decided to try out Spyware Doctor. However even thought the proggie detects 107 problems, when I tell it to erase them, I am asked for my registration details. I have downloaded this program 5 times now from different web sites, but get the same request for regristration each time. Am I missing something, as I would certainly prefer to trial it before purchase.
Cheers (another ian)

Driftwood
17-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I got caught by that too. Its a bit misleading on the website.
Download the free version & that will work for you.

nofam
17-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi Nofam, like several others I dumped Adaware V7 and decided to try out Spyware Doctor. However even thought the proggie detects 107 problems, when I tell it to erase them, I am asked for my registration details. I have downloaded this program 5 times now from different web sites, but get the same request for regristration each time. Am I missing something, as I would certainly prefer to trial it before purchase.
Cheers (another ian)

Yeah it is a bit confusing - download this one:

http://www.download.com/Spyware-Doctor-Starter-Edition/3000-8022_4-10704508.html?tag=lst-0-6

This is the 'Starter Edition' which is available as part of the Google Pack. . . pain in the arse having jump through Google hoops to get it, so check Wainuitech's sig for the latest version. . .that's where I usually pilfer it from!! :D

curly
17-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks all. Spyware doctor now installed.