PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive

Ron24
13-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Using xp2, have a problem with hard drive filling up.
Have 40gig HD partitioned in two, c&d drives. Some time ago it was divided in to C as the main one and D as Data.
My problem now is that C is nearly full and D has about 19 gig empty. As I don't understand the reason for this setup, would like some advice on what to do about it.
Am not very clued up on this Data on one partition, but it was done by a professional for some reason.
Would it be best to make it all one 40gig drive? if so how?.
Appreciate any advise..Ron..

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2008, 02:59 PM
As you said D is for data.

Whoever did it, may have partitioned it, so if you format C, D stays intact (so, you dont lose the data, or whatever is on it).

You could delete D's partition in disk management, but then you'll lose whats on it now.

Is there anything on D now?

PaulD
13-03-2008, 03:22 PM
It doesn't sound like D is actually being used for much data. Where are Windows (My Documents) and other programs saving to?

Ron24
13-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, the D drive has a lot of stuff on it, like my documents, Backup and lot's that I don't know what they mean. The whole lot is only about 1gig so it seems a waste of space when I need the space on the C drive.
Thanks for the explanation of the reason for the guru creating the d drive.

decibel
13-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the reply, the D drive has a lot of stuff on it, like my documents, Backup and lot's that I don't know what they mean. The whole lot is only about 1gig so it seems a waste of space when I need the space on the C drive.
Thanks for the explanation of the reason for the guru creating the d drive.

Why do you need the space on the C: drive?
As Speedy said, the advantage with your current set-up is that if you need to reformat and re-intall Windows, it can be done without affecting what you have on D:.
Start using D: to save all your docs etc and you can even install apps there and run them.

I have all my freeware apps running from my E: drive.

PaulD
13-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Now days less than 1G of data stored is almost proof that you don't actually use the computer :)

Try this thread for ways to check what's taking up the space on C. You might find a lot of data that can be shifted to D. http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=87942

Sweep
13-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Now not knowing where you are saving things is a worry.
Try using (Save As) rather than (Save)

This means that you appear to have your O/S on C: along with applications installed. What applications are installed?

Do you download P2P or programs from the Internet and if so where do you save them? Music downloaded? Itunes?

Do you know how to create directories or folders on a partition on your 40 gig hard drive?

Ron24
14-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks to all you good folk for offering words of wisdom to an old computer enthusiast. I do download stuff from the net and try out different systems and only wish that I knew more about what I am doing.
Will work on the advice given over the weekend and report back later.
Thanks again Ron..

Ron24
17-03-2008, 04:50 PM
How do I create directories or folders on my partitioned hard drive? and what do I do then.
Regards Ron..

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2008, 05:14 PM
The same way you would do it on any hdd. Right mouse / new folder

Depends what folder youre talking about

If you want to make folders, just for MP3's / files you download just create it and call it anything

Bantu
17-03-2008, 07:59 PM
40 Gb is small these days. Throw another drive in it for your data and resize the 40Gb back to full size with likes of partition magic.

HDD's are Cheap.