PDA

View Full Version : Access 2007 Questions

jwil1
13-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I am creating a simple database in Access 2007. I want to have a list of records in a vertical panel displayed on the form, and have the form change it's current selection to the one the user chooses. I tried using a list box, but that wouldn't let me navigate to the record when I selected it.

Also, can I add a search box to my form? I want to have the user type a query, then have a window pop up with all matches. The search box at teh bottom of the form is limited in that you have to scroll through all matches using the arrows near the box.

Can I 'un-bound' all the fields the Form Wizard created? I want to have some fields lined up horizontally.

Thanks!

EDIT: Can I also add records after the one currently displayed? (ie not after the last record?)

ughnz
13-03-2008, 06:26 PM
You can do what you need to do, but it will involve lots of visual basic code.

How familiar are you with visual basic for applications?

jwil1
13-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I am creating a simple database in Access 2007. I want to have a list of records in a vertical panel displayed on the form, and have the form change it's current selection to the one the user chooses. I tried using a list box, but that wouldn't let me navigate to the record when I selected it.

I've found a way around what I want to do and only need to have the list box showing now.

Would rather not lean VB for Applications!

nofam
13-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I've found a way around what I want to do and only need to have the list box showing now.

Would rather not lean VB for Applications!

:D To be honest I used to feel the same way, but it's really not that scary. If you use Macros, then you're already using VB to some extent. Just dip your toe into it that way - it really does add a whole new dimension to Access/Excel

zcc
13-03-2008, 08:40 PM
If your data is all in one table then create a summary query based on the field in question

If you can do the above then you are half way there, all you need now is 2 forms, one built on the query.
Then 1 built on the table, make it look like the way you want it.
Drag and drop the 2nd form onto the 1st form, and check that form linking fields are BOTH for the control field.

I have been brief, but well... thats what I get paid fo.
Post an update if you have trouble...
You may find creating a table based on the control field easier to do and then join them thru a relationship.

Oppps getting complex again.
Anyway YOU DO NOT NEED ANY VB to achieve this.