PDA

View Full Version : What to Leave for a PC Cleanout

jarques
12-03-2008, 01:28 PM
After months of a continuing problem with iTunes and also the software of my Hp printer, I've decided to apply the purgative--Dell PC Restore by Symantec. Okay, I have a 250Gig portable hard-drive where I will be backing up my data files but I was wondering if I should also add some specific defence software that I have up-to-date i.e. Zone Alarm, Avg Anti-virus, Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster, so that I have stuff easily in place before I re-connect to the internet. Thoughts?

PS I'm terrified of how many days it is going to take to download two years of MS corrections and updates!

AST
12-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Whats the XP SP3 release date, you could wait till then?

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2008, 01:35 PM
You should partition that hdd, and make some folders for the XP updates.

Get the updates manually then copy them to these folders.

That way, if you have to format, you can install them after. Which will save you downloading the updates all the time.

Or as Ast said, wait for SP3 to arrive, which may or may not be in about 2 weeks. So, some sites say.

And once SP3 comes out slipstream it with the XP cd you've got.

jarques
12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I havn't read of a release date yet, however the problems are with the iTunes and HP software and all the standard stuff of uninstalling/reinstalling and using iTunes geek sites for solutions have failed. I even tried deleting all Registry entries for iTunes and IPod to get as clean a slate as possible, still no joy. So, in summary I don't think the MS update will do it.

jarques
12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Whoops, sorry guys. I didn't read the first message properly. Yes, that is a good solution for the huge updating task and I will adopt it if it is only weeks away. Thanx

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2008, 01:55 PM
So what probs were/are you having with Itunes?

It crashes, doesnt work, Doesnt run, what?

pctek
12-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I've decided to PC Restore
I will be backing up my data files but I was wondering if I should also add some specific defence software that I have up-to-date i.e. Zone Alarm, Avg Anti-virus, Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster,

Yes.

I split my drives. C: has the O/S and nothing else, all data and apps are on D:.

So when I do my own restores it only replaces C: and I don't lose anything. All install files for antimalware etc live on d: so easy to re-do those things that were added after I made the image.

Sweep
12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Yes.

I split my drives. C: has the O/S and nothing else, all data and apps are on D:.

So when I do my own restores it only replaces C: and I don't lose anything. All install files for antimalware etc live on d: so easy to re-do those things that were added after I made the image.

pctek,
On reading your post I am a little confused.

jarques does not have an image and he/she intends "to apply the purgative--Dell PC Restore by Symantec."

I would think that any such action would put the PC back to where it was when jarques got it using a hidden partition on one drive or restore CDs or a combination of both. If jarques repartitions one physical drive and makes those C: and D: after he/she does the restore I think is intended then what happens if jarques needs/wants to do it again? Goodbye data or whatever on the D: drive as there will be one drive and one partition again.

Fortunately jarques has another 250 Gig portable drive and he/she could make images on there along with other data.

pctek. I am not getting at you but your solution may not work unless the original poster has imaging software.

Just for the record I use 2 x 200Gig sata 2 Seagate drives and image one to the other. I also use two optical DVD writers to copy really important data to.

Deane F
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I did an installation of XP Pro and then SP2 (haven't got around to making a slipstream disk yet...) about two weeks ago - the MS updates came to about 70 MB. There will be a bit more if you install the .NET framework.

pctek
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
jarques does not have an image and he/she intends "to apply the purgative--Dell PC Restore by Symantec."

If jarques repartitions one physical drive and makes those C: and D: after he/she does the restore I think is intended then what happens if jarques needs/wants to do it again? Goodbye data or whatever on the D: drive as there will be one drive and one partition again.

pctek. I am not getting at you but your solution may not work unless the original poster has imaging software.

Yes I know. Although it does depend what imaging Dell used in the first place.

I didn't suggest he do that, I said yes, have malware installs ready to go.

I mentioned my method as you don't have to keep the original image even if your PC has one - you can make your own later.

jarques
12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Speedy:
The iTunes problem--which began with an update that caused hassles world-wide--is that it will not install completely, also applies to Flash. It just hangs at the end. I tried the various solutions suggested by the maker but none of them worked. This was at least 6-8 months ago.