PDA

View Full Version : Avast on Ubuntu

stormdragon
12-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey Guy's

Can anyone tell me which of these packages would be the easiest to install on Ubuntu, for a relative Linux beginner?

(RPM package)
(DEB package)
(TAR GZ package)

:thanks

CYaBro
12-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I thought you didn't need antivirus software on Linux? :D

Crow1985
12-03-2008, 12:53 PM
http://www.avast.com/ger/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html

I would choose .deb. ;)

If you have gdebi not deinstalled you start the installation routine with an double click, like in windows os (exe files).

Erayd
12-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I thought you didn't need antivirus software on Linux? :DYou don't. It scans for Windows viruses.

Jen
12-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I believe individual .deb packages in Ubuntu have to be installed via the command line using the package manager.

I will assume you have saved the .deb file into your home directory. When you open up a terminal window it should start from the home directory, but to make sure type pwd and make sure it returns /home/your_name.

Next enter in:

sudo dpkg -i file.deb

Make sure you enter the actual file name where it says "file" above.

Tip: if you start to type the first few letters of the file name and then hit [tab], it will auto-complete the file name for you.

Let us know if you have any problems. :)

Erayd
12-03-2008, 07:05 PM
After running Jen's command, run 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -f install' - that will fix any required dependencies that your new program requires.

stormdragon
12-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks Jen and Bletch will hopefully give it a go tomorrow night when I've got a bit more time. Will let you know how it goes. :thanks

CYaBro It won't really be to protect the Linux install. I will be using it to scan drives with Windows installations and general data files.

stormdragon
15-03-2008, 06:33 PM
After all my troubles (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?p=653876#post653876) getting Ubuntu setup, I can't even use Avast with it as I just found its only available in 32bit. Owell got plenty of other stuff to play around with.