PDA

View Full Version : where to buy XP in Wellington?

NZMacka
10-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I suffered a theft from my vehicle over the weekend, and one of the items they got was a CD wallet containing my authentic version of Windows XP SP4. I desperately need this disc today for work, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any physical (not online) retailers in Wellington that are still selling full installable versions of XP? I assume that an OEM version is not usable as it can only be installed once on a single machine. I could be wrong, I don't fully understand the XP licencing issues and normally install Linux where possible. If anyone can offer advice on that I would also appreciate it as I don't want to break any laws!

If anyone has any ideas on where to buy that would be fantastic, in the menatime, I'll keep searching on PriceSpy!.:thanks

Cheers
Macca

Erayd
10-03-2008, 08:47 AM
...was a CD wallet containing my authentic version of Windows XP SP4....There is no such thing. I assume you mean either Windows 2000 Professional SP4, or Windows XP (home or pro) SP2.

I desperately need this disc today for work, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any physical (not online) retailers in Wellington that are still selling full installable versions of XP? I assume that an OEM version is not usable as it can only be installed once on a single machine. I could be wrong, I don't fully understand the XP licencing issues and normally install Linux where possible. If anyone can offer advice on that I would also appreciate it as I don't want to break any laws!Try giving Ascent a call. While they are mainly an online retailer they do have a Wellington office, and XP is popular enough that they should have copies on hand.

NZMacka
10-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi Bletch,

Apologies, my bad, you are correct it is SP2 not 4.

Have tried Ascent already, unfortunately, they only stock OEM versions of XP now and my research on the net this morning suggests that an OEM version can only be installed on a single new PC.

I may be wrong though on this, can anyone correct me on the M$ OEM licencing issues? My last version of XP was a full retail boxed version and was non OEM and I was able to (rightly or wrongly) install it on all 3 of my home network PC's.

Cheers guys,
Macca

Erayd
10-03-2008, 09:05 AM
...My last version of XP was a full retail boxed version and was non OEM and I was able to (rightly or wrongly) install it on all 3 of my home network PC's.This is illegal. You need to own one license per computer it is installed on, regardless of which version of XP you own. XP's activation scheme is supposed to prevent installing on multiple PCs - the fact that you were able to do so doesn't mean you're actually *allowed* to do so, it just means that Microsoft's activation technology failed to properly do its job.

NZMacka
10-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Far out I had no idea. I thought as the XP disc installed OK and WGA also worked without issues then all was OK. So to correct this situation, I need to to purchase 3 seperate copies of XP and reinstall them to my home PC's? Each of my home PC's has XP COA's on the exterior of the PC cases if this helps. I'll give M$ a call to see what the story is as well.

stormdragon
10-03-2008, 09:45 AM
If each machine has a COA that you use the code from, thats fine as the code is unique to the system. The actual CD doesn't matter, its the license key thats important.

NZMacka
10-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Sweet, thanks Storm Dragon, thats the impression I had as well and just had it confirmed by M$NZ. Still looking for a replacement full XP version in Welly tho!!:o

Thebananamonkey
10-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Given that you have the COA, then does that mean I could just give you a CD? I slipstreamed an XPSP2 CD a little while ago, and have it just lying around if you want it, and could make another copy. If this is legal PM me...

jwil1
10-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Quay Computers?

I know they still sell Office 2003.

120 Lambton Quay

nofam
10-03-2008, 10:55 AM
If each machine has a COA that you use the code from, thats fine as the code is unique to the system. The actual CD doesn't matter, its the license key thats important.

If each COA is legit, couldn't we just burn Macca a copy of the media? Seems silly to pay for a media kit if we can do it for the cost of a blank CD?

wainuitech
10-03-2008, 10:57 AM
If each COA is legit, couldn't we just burn Macca a copy of the media? Seems silly to pay for a media kit if we can do it for the cost of a blank CD?
To Quote Strormdragon
If each machine has a COA that you use the code from, thats fine as the code is unique to the system. The actual CD doesn't matter, its the license key thats important. Just about any XP cd will usually work. It gets a bit tricky if its XP Pro - Not all Pro CD's work with Pro COA's.

NZMacka
10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi guys,

I believe all of my COA's to be legit as they are all PC's that I have purchased from PC retailers. Only one of them actually came with the full XP Pro SP2 disc however, and it was this disc that I used when my PC experimenting went wrong and I needed to "restore" the PC back to operating condition!