PDA

View Full Version : Router QoS Help

Fireranger19
09-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi there,

I am currently on a network and another user is downloading p2p all the time. This is affecting everything I do and sometimes I can not even use the internet as it is so slow.

I am using:
DSE 5-Port 10/100Mbps QoS Switch (Router)
Billion BIPAC-7100S ADSL Modem/Router with Ethernet Port (Modem)

I have tried a few traffic programs but they have not worked and then I saw something about QoS which my router has. How do I activate this?

I have an address for one of them Billion ADSL Modem / Router. Not sure if the DSE router is also on this page?

Thanks for any help.

ughnz
09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
What is the model number for the DSE switch? I suspect it only supports TOS flags and wont allow you configure by port or address.

Looking at the user guide for the Billion I cannot see any mention of QOS support?

wainuitech
09-03-2008, 03:10 PM
What is the model number for the DSE switch? I suspect it only supports TOS flags and wont allow you configure by port or address.

Looking at the user guide for the Billion I cannot see any mention of QOS support?
Agree with the above - downloaded the manual for the Billion - no sign of Qos.

Look at This Thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=87874&page=2) Post Number 13 - theres a link to a program I use, works perfectly on blocking ANY P2P or any site you want.

Here also is Same Link IMLock (http://www.comvigo.com/buynow/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=display&ref=splash&sid=5pdp1dms69vk4156a7175cm5a8v2s2wd)

Fireranger19
09-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi,

The DSE has no obvious model number on it but I think it is this here:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/47d32f7a0127ea3a273fc0a87f3306af/Product/View/XH8258

Does this do QoS? The Billion modem does not have QoS anywhere on it.

Fireranger19
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Bump ^^

wainuitech
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
That looks like a basic Switch - it says it Supports Qos , not configures it - different. Look in the Manual that it says comes with it, that will tell you for sure.

Try the program I posted above that WILL do what you want.

Fireranger19
11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I need a bandwidth controller, but the only one I found was not user easy to noobs. Does anyone know a easy to use bandwidth program?

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Yup the ethernet cable, pull it out.

That'll do a good job of stopping the bandwidth :banana

Fireranger19
12-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Been there, done that. Got told off. Might just wait until the cops pick up a trail..

OT: What are the fines for downloading pirated movies?

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Could be a fine, could be prison.

He'll probably get hit with trojans / malware sooner or later.

Then he'll think about stopping.

wainuitech
12-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Out of interest - if you need to stop the downloading, any reason you wont try that program I have posted above ( post #3) ??? works wonders, and a LOT cheaper than fines or prison.

It's also real EASY to use.

Fireranger19
13-03-2008, 06:18 AM
She has been doing it for 2 or 3 years..:stare:

Fireranger19
13-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Out of interest - if you need to stop the downloading, any reason you wont try that program I have posted above ( post #3) ??? works wonders, and a LOT cheaper than fines or prison.

It's also real EASY to use.

Am I correct that it blocks the program from running?

What I am looking for is something that gives the other computers on the network the same amount of internet. They are called Traffic Managers or similar but I dont know how to use it.

wainuitech
13-03-2008, 08:44 AM
That particular program blocks the actual program you want from running - you can set it to not run at certain times, then allow it to run at certain times. ( from memory)

It also does web sites in the same way - Example on my sons PC I had to set it so the game site he likes going to would not open between 6 - 8pm , he wouldn't do his homework after dinner and it got annoying having to " Harp" all the time, I only had to do it once and he now knows I can and will block if needed.

There are network management programs - you only need to Google them and you'll get lots - but finding one thats easy to use is not always that easy.

As speedy rightly pointed out -
Could be a fine, could be prison.

He'll probably get hit with trojans / malware sooner or later. Change to she ---- and then it will self regulate - all network traffic will slow to a crawl on every PC.

Personally I'd suggest you try the program - theres a free trial time - and in that time you will be able to see if it suits your needs - costs nothing to look, and maybe the thought that "Dad is serious and will take action" might be enough.