PDA

View Full Version : Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, t

madhucse
09-03-2008, 07:22 AM
"Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

View details: (~/.xsession-errors file)

/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "po"
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup... "

I searched the forums for similar problems however all the other error messages were different so the solutions and reasons why this happened was different as well.

The last thing I did was try to get bash_profile to run (since for some reason it doesn't..) and I guess I messed up something with xsession...

I have no idea what I'm doing right now so any help would be apperciated. :)

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Dont post the same question twice.

Wait for someone to answer, its still early here.

Look at a few of these (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Your+session+only+lasted+less+than+10+sec onds&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Erayd
09-03-2008, 09:21 AM
"Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

View details: (~/.xsession-errors file)Can you post the contents of this file please?

I searched the forums for similar problems however all the other error messages were different so the solutions and reasons why this happened was different as well.I'm not terribly surprised - there are a lot of different ways to break Xorg :rolleyes:.

The last thing I did was try to get bash_profile to run (since for some reason it doesn't..) and I guess I messed up something with xsession...Put xsession back the way it was, you're not supposed to mess with that file unless you want to make system-wide changes. If you want to mess with the way X runs, do it in ~/.xinitrc rather than in a global config file - that way you don't screw up other users.

As far as your 'bash_profile' file goes, do you realise you have the wrong name? It's actually '.bash_profile'. There are a couple of things you should know about this file: It's not executable, and isn't supposed to be run on its own. It gets called by bash directly when bash starts.
This file actually has nothing to do with Xorg, KDE/Gnome or anything else. It's *only* used for the bash shell.

I have no idea what I'm doing right now so any help would be apperciated. :)Can you explain what exactly you are trying to achieve? What is the end goal here?