PDA

View Full Version : Regrets over installing Ms Office 2007

JDHarper
08-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi all

I installed MS Office 2007 (Home & Student edition) and absolutely hate it - big mistake. BUT - apparently there was an option I overlooked during installation about whether or not to leave the previous edition of Word on HD or not (not sure how that was phrased as I missed it and am going on information from others). Anyway I don't see the previous edition there but I surely do want to get rid of this *****.

Can anyone advise me - is my previous edition of Word likely to be findable or is it gone forever? Where do I look beyond the basic explorer directory? Any advise appreciated.

I am using XP. Anything else you need to know to advise me?

Thanks.

Jay

wainuitech
08-03-2008, 08:42 PM
If you told 2007 to remove Office 2003, then it more than likely did so - gone is gone - you can always remove office 2007 and reinstall Office 2003 from your original CD's - it will still go in fine, in fact you can run both, they do co exist.

Out of Interest - what is wrong with Office 2007 that you dont like?

It takes a bit of getting used to the new interface, but apart from that every thing is still there - just in a different place.

darroll
08-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I’m afraid that your old version of Word was overwritten.
Word 2007 is ok… But… It takes some getting used to.
It’s the same Word but everything got moved in the menu’s.
darroll

sal
08-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Was it possibly an upgrade? Just give Office '07 a good month to get used to but otherwise, when passing files on, make sure the recipient can use "docx" files without too much hassle. If not change the "Save As..." to Office 2003 compatible files.

michael_elliston
08-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Perhaps try open office?

When I saw the interface for Office 07,It put me off.

I wonder if MS WORKS runs on xp....:) I think it fits on a few floppies.

beeswax34
08-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Yeah, it would be interesting to know why you hate it so much.

When I installed 2007, I did choose to keep 2003 "just in case" but took it out soon after because we all found 2007 just a really great product to use.

Who knew Word had so many features!

JDHarper
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys for your thoughts - even though its not the news I'd prefer to hear!

Yes, I realise that all of what was in the previous edition is there in the new one - but I don't have time right now to go through the learning curve. And I don't like MS's propensity to make programmes that try to think for me. I want to do that for myself. I produce a wide variety of different documents, from simple to complex, and had it pretty well sussed with the old programme. I thought I was just going to take a look at this new one - didn't expect it was going to take over!!

I have just an NEC PowerMate machine and it came with Word and Works pre-installed. It does have 2 CDs - "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Installation CD" and "PowerMate Series Online Documentation and Drivers CD"

I took a quick peek at the first one wondering if that might help restore the previous works but couldn't tell from the first screen and was nervous to explore any further. Any ideas on that? Or is Works my only other option? If so I'm glad to at least have that!

Thanks again
Jay

michael_elliston
08-03-2008, 09:57 PM
If you cant see an obvious 'install word or works' option,you probably have to 'recover' the PC,deleting everything(ie backup first) and putting on all sorts of software the manufacturer wants you to have.

Back in ~1995 our IBM aptiva 133mhz did this - filled up the 1gB hard disk quite well :p I figured out that the CD actually had hundreds of zip files with goodies inside.

I tend to avoid the mainstream companies where possible,others will go for them.

Sweep
08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Perhaps try open office?

When I saw the interface for Office 07,It put me off.

I wonder if MS WORKS runs on xp....:) I think it fits on a few floppies.

Works 8 is usable on my system "XP Pro 64 bit SP2"

The only reason it is installed here is that some people send me files with .wps or .wdb extensions.

In fact most people do not need office and may as well use works.
If I could only teach people to use Save As like .TXT or RTF it would help.

For the record I have not seen any need to move from Office 2003 to Office 2007.

Bantu
09-03-2008, 08:58 AM
If you look hard there is software available for D/L that converts Office/Word 2007 menus and Toolbars back to look the same as Office/Word 2003 if that is what you are used to using.

Google "classic toolbar" 2007

Scouse
09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
I wonder if MS WORKS runs on xp.... I think it fits on a few floppies

I have the hardy old Works 4.5 running my Vista Home Premium - for similar reasons as Sweep. I use it once a month when a club secretary sends me a 4.5 database of the membership.

drcspy
09-03-2008, 09:19 AM
you probably have to 'recover' the PC,deleting everything(ie backup first)

drastic.........no ones bothered to mention as far as I can see the possibility that 'system restore' may help

clik startbutton/programs/accessories/system tools/ system restore....and then restore your computer to a time earlier than when you changed office programs......

disclaimer: whie system restore is very useful it may or may not be able to reinstate your old office.......not sure but try it cause it's also totally reverseable and if it doesn't work you can simply put the system back to today again and try somethin else....

wainuitech
09-03-2008, 10:06 AM
If it came preloaded with works suite and word was part of that package you should have gotten the CD's.

But what you can Try is open " My Computer" Tools/Folder Options/View and select " Show Hidden files and folders.

The go into the C: Drive and have a look around for any folders that look like they may be additional ones to the normal operating system. Sometimes manufactures put the install programs there.

I had a Customers Compaq a few weeks ago and did just that - it was in the hidden Bin Folder / Ms Works - double clicked the EXE and it loaded fine.

I don't Know if NEC Do this - but worth a look.