PDA

View Full Version : magnifyer problem

bob.m
08-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi, Windows Premium. Windows magnifyer is there each time I boot. I have msconfig/ startup deselected all but it still comes up ?.
Also my pc auto connects to the net. How can I give myself the option of connecting or not. Thanks
I submited this a while back but things froze on me at the time so i apologise if this is duplicated

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2008, 06:46 PM
And what are you on broadband or dialup?? If broadband, thats what happens.

Thats the point of having broadband, it's connected all the time.

Get ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com)

Install it then run it, then go to tools / startup.

Delete the magnifier entry here.

bob.m
08-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi Speedy, Yes I am on broadband as I was with xp when I had an option of connecting or not.
How do I diconnect if required?
I have ccleaner but cant see the magnifyer entry in tools/startup

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Is the broadband modem internal or external like a modem/router??

If external you cant disconnect it all the time, without pulling it out of the power or the phone jack.

If the modem is internal (Did you dial up with it to connect to the internet)?

If you didnt have to dialup (if its an internal ADSL modem), it sounds like its an external modem. In which case, you cant disconnect, as above.

BUT, when you HAD the option to disconnect in XP, were you on dialup or broadband?

If dialup thats why, you have to dial up, to get on the net and disconnect after.

Dialup is different to broadband.

Dialup you HAVE to dialup.

With broadband, its always connected (unless you're using an internal modem), which may give you the option to disconnect.

feersumendjinn
08-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Go to Control Panel>Network Connections, right-click the LAN connection entry/icon, left-click Create A Shortcut, click yes on the warning box, you're done (rename the shortcut if you want (Mynet?)), this will allow you to disable/enable your connection from the desktop, and if you leave it disabled, shut down the computer, and restart, it will still be disabled (does take a while to reconnect/enable tho (in Vista)).
Also works the same in XP.
Dunno why Microsoft didnt give us a control to do that!? :groan:

feersumendjinn
08-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Left-click the Start Orb, type Magnifier in the search box, left-click the resultant answer, go to File menu in the prog window that opens, and click Exit. (Hopefully that will work, or you've possibly got something stuffed up in the registry (maybe someone else can help you there)).

bob.m
08-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi Feersumendjinn, I am familiar with those instructions with xp but vista appears different
Hi Speedy,Broadband external router on ethernet.
So you cant disconnect from the net without actually unplugging ? mmm
Still cant resolve the magnifyer

Core2 Quad- 4gs DDr2 ram-8800GTX 1000gb hd Gigabyte mobo

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi Speedy,Broadband external router on ethernet.

So you cant disconnect from the net without actually unplugging ?

Correct. Or right mouse on the LAN icon on the taskbar, or wherever it is in Vista.

And select disable. Only thing is, you'll have to go back to wherever the icon is for the LAN and enable it every time you disable it

feersumendjinn
08-03-2008, 09:21 PM
The shortcut works, the only difference is the User Account Control (UAC) needs to be clicked to proceed, and the re-enabling has to "repair the connection": I know it works, I'm using it, you dont need to unplug anything!
Sorry to hear the magnifier thing didnt work.

Speedy, thats the problem my method is designed to avoid.

bob.m
08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Search magnifier was good, I think I will minimise on start up rather than delete it as I could be using it in a couple of years. Thanks Guys

feersumendjinn
08-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Magnifier fix worked?

wainuitech
08-03-2008, 10:04 PM
The Magnifier is starting as its being told to - To stop it

Go to Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Optimize Visual Display Select the magnifier then uncheck minimize on start up and it should be fixed. When you reboot, it shouldn't run.

AND you can listen to Vista talk to you all at the same time.

wainuitech
08-03-2008, 10:23 PM
To stop the Broadband is as easy as pressing the on/off button on the modem - every external modem has one.